You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

publisher 2 cmyk conversion

I am having problems setting up illustrated books using RGB photographs and exporting to PDF as CMYK. Some images get flattened for reasons not known to me (ignorance). Is there a sequence for this conversion that avoids this? I would prefer not to have to convert the images before importing into Publisher. Of course I am aware that CMYK can't fully represent the colour spectrum of sRGB but I would have thought the conversion in Publisher might have been more sympathetic.

When I export to CMYK as a PDF, does the original publisher file convert to CMYK?

Sorry, that might be ambiguous. I don't mean that images get layers flattened but the tonality and colour gamut.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm not an expert on colour but perhaps somebody else could reply if you provide this information.

What is the colour profile of the image?

What is the colour profile of the document?

What is the colour profile for export, if it's not using the document profile?

Thanks

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 1/27/2023 at 11:49 AM, ms.fuentecilla said:

Some images get flattened for reasons not known to me (ignorance). Is there a sequence for this conversion that avoids this?

What "flattened" do you mean? (and what "ignorance"?)

• For the PDF file format "flatten" means to avoid (convert) transparency. Transparency can be caused by reduced opacity but also by certain blend modes for instance.

• Within Affinity "flatten" can mean "rasterize" which will be required for certain tasks but not for simply placed "RGB photographs".

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Lee D. The PDF issue got sorted in a way in that all the images in the Publisher file were enhanced. My printers will accept sRGB or CMYK but their conversion from sRGB to CMYK is not so good so it is better I do it and they print a proof page. As long as enhancing in Publisher doesn't affect the originals this is alright but I am a bit worried that it might impact the originals.

The enhancements were done in Publisher mode not switching into Photo.

If documents are exported in CMYK PDF and then reimported into Publisher as such is it possible to edit them? I haven't yet tried to do that.

1 hour ago, ms.fuentecilla said:

If documents are exported in CMYK PDF and then reimported into Publisher as such is it possible to edit them?

It is possible, in many cases, but it is usually better to start with the original .afpub file. PDF loses many things, as it is not intended for data interchange but simply for presentation. For example, you will not have any text styles in the PDF if you open it in Publisher.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1