You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Major bug: can't work with AP offline

km.au

I'm stuck on the road with no Internet connection trying to edit.

Affinity photo will not open offline because it trys to keep loading a server, which is offline.

This is a major flaw and could it please be fixed. 

If AP can't finde the "recent" files when opening, please consider to add some code in so it skips when the smb share is offline and continues to open the program.

As it is, its just frozen and unusable.

Thanks.

• Staff

Hi @km.au,
The files you opened in Designer were located in the same offline server as the ones you previously tried to open in Photo (most recent documents)? If not that's why it worked for Designer. We are aware of the issues that prevent the app from running when a server is offline. This is currently being investigated internally.
I'v added your report to our log. Thanks for raising it up.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, if I could please request this gets bumped in priority to be fixed ASAP. 

As a working pro on the road, the amount of times this bug burns me where I can't edit on the road...even with a VPN connected, Affinity Photo will refuse to open even if the alias are working. 

It's critical showstopping bug, thanks MEB. 

• Staff

The issue "App attempts to reconnect to disconnected SMB share on launch" (REF: AFB-7024) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1728".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 4 months later...

Running AP 1.10.6 on a 2021 MacBook Pro M1 16 GB - works perfectly as long as I'm not moving. On a train or plane it's pathetic. AP is freezing even trying to change the zoom factor of a small image. Not talking about how many hours I've been waiting for more "complex" operations such as drawing a line.... Even mobile internet does not change anything. 

Any attempt to find out whether there is anything wrong in the system's settings failed. No forum information available.

Is there anyone out there who can assist? (Rest of system running smoothly, all AP files are saved locally only)

Thanks

AW

• Staff
On 7/29/2023 at 1:14 PM, Andreas Wilkens said:

Running AP 1.10.6 on a 2021 MacBook Pro M1 16 GB - works perfectly as long as I'm not moving. On a train or plane it's pathetic. AP is freezing even trying to change the zoom factor of a small image. Not talking about how many hours I've been waiting for more "complex" operations such as drawing a line.... Even mobile internet does not change anything. 

Any attempt to find out whether there is anything wrong in the system's settings failed. No forum information available.

Is there anyone out there who can assist? (Rest of system running smoothly, all AP files are saved locally only)

Thanks

AW

Hi @Andreas Wilkens, this is likely related to the brightness of the EDR panel in the MacBook constantly changing: there is an issue with V1 where many brightness change notifications are sent to Photo (which uses them to calculate dynamic range on the 32-bit preview panel). You can mitigate this by turning off automatic brightness adjustment in System Preferences. Please see this video for more detail:

This issue is fixed entirely in V2 (and all future versions of the Affinity apps). It primarily only affects Photo V1 because Publisher and Designer still use an OpenGL view (whereas Photo uses Metal). Please don't follow any advice that suggests disabling Metal Compute to fix this issue, as it will noticeably reduce performance.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hi James Ritson, thank you for your competent explanation in the video. I could not reproduce the error by covering the FaceTime camera as yet. Next time on a train I will use the recommended workaround, though. Since I'm running AP 1 on a mentioned system I would presume your advice will work. If not I would get back to this thread.

Thanks again

AW