You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer v1 Select All desing VS Ungroup

Interesting. Can you share the afdesign document?

i would activate Split View Mode and outline mode to see if anything inside the group matches the selection area.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

It is possible that a object within your group is larger than the visible area..
a. like a large vector contained within a smaller shape
b. remote single pixel present but not obviously visible
c. a rotated object within a group can increase the group container size 

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2430
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

1 minute ago, StuartRc said:

It is possible that a object within your group is larger than the visible area..
a. like a large vector contained within a smaller shape
b. remote single pixel present but not obviously visible
c. a rotated object within a group can increase the group container size 

Thought of that, too. But ungrouping will keep the size in my test cases

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Something is nested in the 3 "(Image") layers (ST, A, & R). Knowing what those items might be could maybe somehow help figure out what is causing this?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Thought of that, too. But ungrouping will keep the size in my test cases

yep I have seen things like this before.. the more complex the group ..the more likely it is to occur. Sometimes I get raster images | objects that do the opposite. i. e it clips image to edges of object even though larger...To get around this I usually just rasterize it!  

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2430
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Usually this mostly happens when a group contains rotated objects etc. When you cycle the selection box you can see the Regular bounds vs the Base Box.

In your case it's due to some rotated curves for the head part (aka rotated blue hair curves), when you select those rotated ones you can see that they exceed the bounding box area of your bottom rect. - To fix this for the individual rotated curves ...

1. Copy the rotated curve (just in order to get it's possible applied styles, like gradient flows etc.)
  2. Select the single rotated curve layer and perform a geom. add operation on it itself (this straightens/resets the bounding box of a rotated curve)
  3. Paste just the style back to the selected curve layer ("Edit -> Paste style" Shift-Cmd-P)

02HeaderCurvesTest.jpg.63a24852b14759270e312a30a810774c.jpg

Here's your fixed file, check the outer group bounding box size now and inspect all the rotated layer curves, I might have overseen some which exceed the bottom of your rect ...

See also related ...

... and so on.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2