You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EXIF display error in Affinity Photo 2

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I can't figure out how to fix it. This happens for .CR3 raw files and for iPhone photos in Affinity Photo 2, on a Mac. My location is Australia. When I display the EXIF data, the "Date Shot" gives the correct date, but the time is 9 hours prior to the actual time the photo was taken. So a photo I shot at 2:47pm displays as being shot at 5:47am in Affinity Photo. If I check the EXIF data of the photos in say "Preview" they display correctly.  Is there a location preference or some other setting that could be causing this?

@Gregoir,

The EXIF data in AP is inconsistent at best. When they released V2, the date/time field was a bug and they fixed it. However, thanks to your posting, I've discovered it still is not correct. Mine are not off by the amount yours are. My Canon RAW, CR2 files are off by 1 hour. This might be a Daylight Savings Time thing, or maybe not. I also noticed in the Metadata panel, if I change from EXIF to Detail, the Detail has the correct time. So clearly AP is not reading the info correctly from the RAW files.

I don't know of, can't locate any settings in AP for Date/Time.

I wonder if there's a 9 hour difference in time between your location and where Serif is located? I don't think that's the issue, otherwise what I would be seeing that in my files too. (Thinking out loud here). ;)

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

@Gregoir

You don't say what format the iPhone images are. If they're .heic rather than .jpeg, then it would make a certain amount of sense because both .cr3 and .heic images use QuickTime format. And the QuickTime specification for integer-format times is UTC rather than local time.

I'm not sure how that squares with your time zone/daylight savings settings, but I think it's possible that Affinity Photo isn't accounting for them correctly.

All the gory details are at the ExifTool QuickTime Tags page.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

8 hours ago, Ron P. said:

My Canon RAW, CR2 files are off by 1 hour.

FWIW, all my iPhone pix shot in the summertime in my local time zone are also off by one hour, I assume because daylight savings time was in effect then but not now.

I took it no further than that but I think it means the Affinity time/date metadata is being adjusted to current local values instead of absolute ones, so to speak.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Some changes have been made in V2 and how the Exif data is read/displayed as it's looking for timezone data, if none I believe it assumes UTC 00:00. If someone can upload a sample file I can log it with the devs to double check everything is working as expected.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the support guys. Sorry about taking so long to get back here. I just downloaded version 2.0.4 and it is somewhat fixed. The .HEIC iPhone pics display correctly. CR3 Canon pics display the time correctly when choosing the "Detail" tab but in the EXIF tab, display 1 hour later than they should. Other apps like Preview and Digital Photo Professional 4 display the Date Shot correctly. I'm not sure if this could be related to daylight saving time. 

IMG_9167.CR3

On 1/11/2023 at 4:42 AM, Lee D said:

Some changes have been made in V2 and how the Exif data is read/displayed as it's looking for timezone data, if none I believe it assumes UTC 00:00. If someone can upload a sample file I can log it with the devs to double check everything is working as expected.

Again, thanks and sorry for the late reply. I attached a sample Canon .CR3 file. 

IMG_9167.CR3