You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linux user base keep growing !

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

@Chills I was talking about the Infranet, not the Internet. I still have a bunch here in the room with me. You may call them pieces of paper, or even notebooks, operated with pens and or pencils.

WOW! Pens and pencils.....  I have heard of them in folk tales.  Do you live in a museum ? 🙂

Actually I always have a pen and notebook on me. Through I more often use a propelling pencil.
Though it is amazing me that some teens don't own a pen/pencil and  if it is not on their phones or tablets they have no idea what to do. 
We have created a monster.

www.JAmedia.uk  and www.TamworthHeritage.org.uk
[Win 11  | AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I haven't seen any indication of a different build, and I have no information about how Windows handles X64 programs on ARM.

There are incremental x64 app translations as well as fully native ARM builds.

1. Starting as a fully emulated x64 workload
  2. After recompiling the most CPU-intensive parts as Arm64EC
  3. After continuing to recompile more x64 modules over time
  4. Ending result of a fully native Arm64EC app

image.thumb.png.e675adbc049ebbc15724b67e5ac67108.png

Apparently users can get a glimpse if the applications main executable is partial or fully using ARM64EC by looking into the Task Manager

image.png.9d3e7055387e3cbf8f4c2f365438f8d4.png

Windows Task Manager can also be used to identify if an app has been compiled as Arm64EC. In the Details tab of Task manager, the Architecture column will show ARM64 (x64 compatible) for applications whose main executable has been partially or completely compiled as Arm64EC.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/arm/arm64ec

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

2 hours ago, myclay said:

Ending result of a fully native Arm64EC app

The Arm64EC thing is kind of interesting, but it is basically a transitional tool for developers to use to gradually provide native ARM64 ports as part of the development process, it is not how the "emulation" Windows provides work.

My comment was more that I don't think Serif is doing this at all - I don't think they are explicitly transitioning their apps to ARM for Windows (yet?) - so they are likely fully "emulated" at this point (in whatever sense Windows "emulates" x64 under ARM64 systems).

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

My comment was more that I don't think Serif is doing this at all - I don't think they are explicitly transitioning their apps to ARM for Windows (yet?) - so they are likely fully "emulated" at this point (in whatever sense Windows "emulates" x64 under ARM64 systems).

I think that's probably correct, though perhaps they did some enablement work to at least allow it to run in this mode.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1