You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pub - v.2.0.3 Almost invisible disclosure icon

GuyMiklos

In the Text Styles panel, both heading1 and CrossReference have multiple sub-styles, but medium grey on medium green makes the disclosure triangle symbol almost invisible. How many people reading this post think this colour combination shows users that there are sub-styles that aren't visible?  

image.png.255165d5ceaa3d10d425fd79aa3838f9.png

MacBook Pro, Retina, mid-2015, macOS Monteray, RAM: 16 GB, CPU Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 2,8 GHz. Monitor: 27" (3840 × 2160) DELL U2723QE 

9 hours ago, GuyMiklos said:

medium grey on medium green makes the disclosure triangle symbol almost invisible

Which OS version?
I don't see this on Catalina.

Also, since years I'm using a very specific global highlight color which turned out to work pretty well with positive, negative and with gray text:

aph2_macos_catallina_highlight_color.png.3d88f9f35df29d88e5e0173e117729b3.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

The OP's footer states he is using Monterrey and it's the same in Ventura which has the same design. Catalina has a chunkier disclosure triangle that's easier to see.

I agree with the OP. The problem is that the disclosure triangle is so delicate in newer versions of macOS that it's important there be sufficient contrast. Although Affinity uses the system accent colour, the light grey of the disclosure triangle is barely visible on some of the accent colours. For example, it's quite difficult to see the disclosure triangle set against what Apple calls purple. The contrast is better in dark mode for all accent colours, but weak for a few colours in light mode.

image.png.57cea5d467cdf0a611493454326e4db3.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

3 hours ago, MikeTO said:

The OP's footer states he is using Monterrey

I see. I have user footers/signatures turned off. (And definitely no plans to change that setting… ;))

3 hours ago, MikeTO said:

weak […] in light mode.

Sadly, the Light UI is definitely Serif's step child. The UI designers (if any?) must truly hate it, as it seems. :/ 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @GuyMiklos,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I have checked this on Ventura 13.1 using 2.0.3 and a green highlight colour - when selecting this menu item, the arrow changes from grey to white, meaning it contrasts well against the green for me:

image.png

Do you find this behaviour now matches mine above, or are you still finding the arrow remains a dark grey and hard to see? (if so, what exact version of macOS is in use please?)

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

I have checked this on Ventura 13.1 using 2.0.3 and a green highlight colour - when selecting this menu item, the arrow changes from grey to white, meaning it contrasts well against the green for me:

Do you find this behaviour now matches mine above, or are you still finding the arrow remains a dark grey and hard to see? (if so, what exact version of macOS is in use please?)

That's not what I'm seeing with macOS 13.1. You're getting a light disclosure triangle on green whereas I'm getting a medium one. What you're seeing is what I'd expect to see in light mode.

image.png.37b6c7e6e3528e1e674387817a6d8fad.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff

I believe I've discovered trigger for this difference, if you have the Text Styles studio detached from the studios in a floating window and click the style, the arrow turns white - if you then leave this style selection active and select the canvas/a layer, the arrow returns to grey.

If the Studio is docked with other studios on the right, the white arrow only remains for as long as you hold left click on the required style.

I'll get these logged with our devs now, thanks again :D

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

I'll get these logged with our devs now, thanks again

Thank You!

But I have to say it: There are (and were) several UI discrepancies related to docked vs undocked, light vs dark UI. Missing (but not really missing, just hardcoded white colored) icons, ...

Please try to test this more on your end, maybe build some automated test suite for these circumstances.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

if you have the Text Styles studio detached from the studios in a floating window and click the style, the arrow turns white

Same on Catalina with the triangle.