You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Constant crashing, can't even use the knife tool without it crashing

Amara N

I just bought and started using affinity designer recently and I love it but ever since I got it it's been crashing all the time. I'm a beginner so I'm not even running anything super heavy on it or anything. Now I am trying to use the knife tool and every time I try to use it the entire application closes and I lose my progress. Please help

Have you tried disabling Open CL Hardware Acceleration in Affinity preferences -> performance ? And restarting the application, of course.

Just un-check that option (you can and should leave your graphics card selected, in the field above that). Exit the app, and run Designer again, try and see if it crashes then. Specially try with the knife tool.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

21 hours ago, SrPx said:

Have you tried disabling Open CL Hardware Acceleration in Affinity preferences -> performance ? And restarting the application, of course.

Just un-check that option (you can and should leave your graphics card selected, in the field above that). Exit the app, and run Designer again, try and see if it crashes then. Specially try with the knife tool.

I just tried that, and the issue persists. I'm able to make one "cut" with the knife tool and anything after that the program just quits.

Oki, I am assuming you changed the open cl thing to off, and immediately after exited the program normally without crashes, for the preference to be really saved. Also because only once restarted takes effect for the crashes not to happen.

I just tried to use the knife (hadn't tried yet since v2). I can do all sorts of knife cuts in standard geometric shapes or in paths I draw with the pen or pencil.

But I am using the beta! So, 2.0.3 1670, not the official release 2.0.

My conclusion after seeing people's issues, is that Affinity apps (while other apps might be more tolerant, and so some system issues do not emerge) need a graphics card driver well installed, Windows up to date to latest updates, and no conflicts (ie, with .net framework) in the system. That has the positive side of forcing one to review and cure the system...

Can you attach the designer file giving you problems, if it's not too private or sth? So we might try it and see if crashes on our side.   

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Amara N,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

Our team are aware of a few file/workflow specific crashes when using the Knife Tool, and these are logged with our developers to be resolved ASAP.

Can you please provide a copy of your .afdesign file that is crashing and if possible a screen recording showing the steps you're taking?

Many thanks in advance!

• 5 months later...

Welcome to the forums @krisw8.  I am on MAC, using Designer 2.1.1, and the knife tool is working perfectly.  I do have Open GL and have disabled Enable Metal Compute Acceleration in my Preferences/Performance settings.  If you are on a MAC, could you try checking these settings to see if that helps?  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• Staff

Hi @krisw8, welcome to the forums & sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Are you using Windows, macOS or iPad with Affinity?

Does this crash occur in any file, or only in a specific document?

Do you see any error or crash report appear on screen when using this tool?

Many thanks in advance :)

• 1 month later...

Hi, reporting that the knife tool fails to work with me too. I've a design file open with multiple artboards, I can use the knife tool for the first node and after that it constantly crashes. I have the latest design drivers from Nvidia (GTX 2080 ti). I don't want to switch back to Adobe. Knife tool makes life so much easier. Shape Builder doesn't quite cut it.

No crash reports, the program just quits.

Windows 10. Installed all the latest patches. 

Edited by NiklasIce

23 minutes ago, NiklasIce said:

Hi, reporting that the knife tool fails to work with me too. I've a design file open with multiple artboards, I can use the knife tool for the first node and after that it constantly crashes. I have the latest design drivers from Nvidia (GTX 2080 ti). I don't want to switch back to Adobe. Knife tool makes life so much easier. Shape Builder doesn't quite cut it.

No crash reports, the program just quits.

Windows 10. Installed all the latest patches. 

If no crash report is generated, it is not due to Affinity programs.

Possible culprits could be outdated graphics card drivers or defective or incompatible hardware.

Try with deactivated hardware acceleration in the performance settings of the programs.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• Staff

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @NiklasIce!

2 hours ago, NiklasIce said:

I've a design file open with multiple artboards, I can use the knife tool for the first node and after that it constantly crashes

Does this happen with multiple files, or only this specific document? If only this one file, can you please provide a copy of this here for me?

If you'd like a private upload link for the file, please let me know :)

2 hours ago, Komatös said:

If no crash report is generated, it is not due to Affinity programs.

As far as I understand it, that's not necessarily true. Depending on when/where in the codestack the app crashes, a report may not be generated - though when a report is not created it usually points to a third party culprit.

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

Does this happen with multiple files, or only this specific document? If only this one file, can you please provide a copy of this here for me?

As far as I understand it, that's not necessarily true. Depending on when/where in the codestack the app crashes, a report may not be generated - though when a report is not created it usually points to a third party culprit.

Hi, so far it happened with two files - one being a HEIC-file opened in Affinity and the other one an aidesign-file. 

I will try first deactivated hardware acceleration. 

Will let you know! But I'd like a private upload link. These are my logo designs that I do not wish to share with anyone. :)

40 minutes ago, NiklasIce said:

Hi, so far it happened with two files - one being a HEIC-file opened in Affinity and the other one an aidesign-file. 

I will try first deactivated hardware acceleration. 

Will let you know! But I'd like a private upload link. These are my logo designs that I do not wish to share with anyone. :)

So far so good - seems like hardware acceleration did the trick. Weird. One would think that Affinity was optimized for Nvidia's latest drivers.

6 hours ago, Dan C said:

Okay - seems like the crash still happens. 

Could I send the file? This time I didn't use the knife tool, was just moving nodes that the knife created.

• Staff

No problem at all, thanks for confirming that for me and I'm sorry to hear these crashes are still occurring.

Can you please upload your file(s) to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/B32XmMqNjYaoepoMLPJn

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know.

Has the app generated any crash reports from these latest crashes by chance? As these would help me to determine a potential cause :)

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

No problem at all, thanks for confirming that for me and I'm sorry to hear these crashes are still occurring.

Can you please upload your file(s) to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/B32XmMqNjYaoepoMLPJn

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know.

Has the app generated any crash reports from these latest crashes by chance? As these would help me to determine a potential cause :)

Thanks Dan! Sent the file via Dropbox. 

Here's the crash report(s).

58244c42-4aff-4a24-9b8b-aacbb14388ee.dmp 6c4c931e-a572-4124-8787-794ca6dac27f.dmp

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that for me - unfortunately I'm not seeing the same crashing behaviour in your document when using the Knife Tool, or adjusting the Nodes created by said tool.

Inspecting your crash reports, I can see the app is crashing in the Affinity library when activating the Tool Handle, though I'm not provided any further information that this.

Therefore I'd like to request a screen recording of the exact steps you're taking when this crash occurs. This can be uploaded to the same link as before, in order to keep the design shown on screen private.

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks once again :)

• 1 month later...

So having had a read of previous posts I'm still none of the wiser but my original comment I was going to post is below.  Knife tool fun 

Hello.  So just wondering if I can get some help.   I'm using a wacom cintiq pro running windows 11.  All up to date.    I'm currently up-to-date with affinity Designer 2.   Currently the program keeps crashing every time I use the knife tool eg, every time I press { k } it instantly crashes and closes.     Any tips or things to look for.   I'm currently at a stage in my work where I need to cut a lot of lines to clean up.

• Staff

Hi @James Beatte,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Can you please confirm for me:

• Does this crash occur in any document, including a New file - or only in a specific file?
  • If you disconnect the Wacom tablet, does this crash still occur?
  • If you select the Knife tool from the left hand toolbar, rather than using the keyboard shortcut, does the app still crash?

Many thanks in advance :)