You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to organize Assets?

After upgrading to 2.0 and collecting all my assets from before, I ended up with a hodgepodge of different categories.
For instance I have "Assets", "Assets 2", "Assets 2 2" with sometimes overlapping content.

I've been trying now for 30 minutes, but I can't find a way to organize those assets so they make more sense.

I thought this would be easy:
- copy/move complete content of "Assets 2" to "Assets"
- copy/move single asset between categories

I can do it over the document, insert asset, then add this asset to new category.
But this way I lose the names of my assets.

There must be a way to do this, what am I missing?  

45 minutes ago, LostInTranslation said:

I can do it over the document, insert asset, then add this asset to new category.
But this way I lose the names of my assets.

I don't lose the name when I drag an asset onto the canvas then add it to another category

How are you doing the "insert asset" part?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

I don't lose the name when I drag an asset onto the canvas then add it to another category

How are you doing the "insert asset" part?

I can either drag the asset into a category or use "Add from selection".
Either way, if I drag out a named asset from one category and insert it into another, it gets named "group".

Also, doing this multiple times with multiple categories would be very tiresome. It should be (and maybe is?) possible to move whole categories around.

10 minutes ago, LostInTranslation said:

Either way, if I drag out a named asset from one category and insert it into another, it gets named "group".

That's very odd

I can drag one or multiple items on the canvas to assets and they all retain their individual names

I can even group a bunch of assets and rename the group and drag the group to assets and it keeps the group name I gave it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

That's very odd

I can drag one or multiple items on the canvas to assets and they all retain their individual names

I can even group a bunch of assets and rename the group and drag the group to assets and it keeps the group name I gave it

Still not for me.
I tried multiple assets from the canvas at once too and they all get named either "group" or "curve".

Update: This might be a 1.x -> 2.x problem, maybe even a bug.
My assets come from 1.x and they behave like I described above.

When I drag my NAMED asset to the canvas (in V2), it already gets renamed to either "group" or"curve".
If I rename the LAYER again and then drag back into assets, it keeps it's name.

8 hours ago, LostInTranslation said:

When I drag my NAMED asset to the canvas (in V2), it already gets renamed to either "group" or"curve".

In which V2 app are you seeing this? I checked in AD2 & in AP2 on my Mac & did not see this behavior. Whatever named asset I dragged onto the canvas, it retained that same name in the Layers panel.

Dumb question, but are you certain that in the Assets panel the dragged item had a name other than group or curve? If you are sure about that, what happens if you rename the asset in the Asset panel & then drag it onto the canvas?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...