You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity v2 Apps Won't Launch in Windows 10

I'm running Windows 10 22H2 and I'm unable to launch any of the three Affinity v2 apps. When I run one of the apps, it will look like it's launching, but then the process ends before I see a splash screen. If I run while Task Manager is open, I see a mention of crashpad_handler.exe under the Affinity app name briefly then everything disappears as the task ends.

Things I've tried:

• Redownloading the installer from my Affinity account page
  • Downloading the apps from the Microsoft Store
  • Going into the Advanced Options for each app and trying the Repair and Reset options
  • Running a PowerShell script to refresh the Microsoft Store app
  • Running PowerShell scripts to install Affinity from the command line
  • Clearing the Microsoft Store cache
  • SFC /scannow command, reboot, run DISM to refresh the Windows image
  • In-place reinstall of Windows 10 22H2
  • Adding ApplicationFrameHost.exe to WindowBlinds exclusion list to prevent UWP apps from being affected by my current theme
  • Terminating Window Blinds so nothing is skinned
  • Uninstalling/reinstalling Wacom drivers for my tablet

Something weird I noticed: Installing one or two apps will show the correct app size in my Settings -> Apps screen (1.16 GB, 1.19 GB, etc.). Installing all three and Apps & Features only shows each app being 116 MB and such. This time around the Affinity Photo 2 actually retained it's proper install size, but the other two have been greatly reduced.

image.png.7f6b29d37ea84690c2f6e2cd68f5b907.png

I'm running as a local admin, so there shouldn't be any permissions issues there. I'm not certain what else to try. Everything has the same results. I've been at this for a while now and wanted to see if the community or the Affinity team have any ideas. I have not tried installing these on my laptop yet, I've only tried on my desktop PC so far. Appreciate any ideas you may have (other than reinstall Windows or get a Mac, heh).

Flynn

Edited by Flynn_Arrowstarr
Additional information added.

You might check for crash reports. %USERPROFILE%\.affinity\<app-name>\2.0\crashreports\reports if I remember correctly.

It is odd that the size of Affinity Photo 2 shows larger than the others. Windows generally shows them all incorrectly, at about the same abnormally low size. No one has figured out why.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
22 minutes ago, spidermurph said:

Has there been and resoluion to this issue as I am still having the same problem.

None of the Affinity 2 apps run. All other Apps are working fine.

Are you getting crash reports?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

@spidermurph

Unfortunately this crash report does not reveal any useful information.

Could you please try uninstalling and try installing the MSI version if you have installed the MSIX, or vice versa.

You could also try the following:

Lee

Hi Lee

Thank you for your reply.

I have gone between the two installers MSI and MSIX a couple of times already.

They don't seem to make a difference.

When I just install Publisher is seems to work. But as I add Designer and Photo, They all stop loading.

1 hour ago, spidermurph said:

But as I add Designer and Photo, They all stop loading.

Did you already tried with disabled OpenCL hardware acceleration as indicated above by Lee_T?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

10 hours ago, spidermurph said:

When I just install Publisher is seems to work. But as I add Designer and Photo, They all stop loading.

Sounds like some Affinity apps persona interoperation problem, which then affects all apps here then, as far as all three are installed.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

11 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Sounds like some Affinity apps persona interoperation problem, which then affects all apps here then, as far as all three are installed.

In my latest install attempt Publisher would not even load on it's own before I added the Designer and Photo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Spidermurph, 

Could you please list your full system specs (CPU/GPU/RAM/OS version), 

also could you try uninstalling all versions and downloading the free trial from the MS app store and sign in to this to register and see if this works?

Lee