You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to Open Document - The File Includes Features From a Later Version of Affinity...

Hangman

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody. I am having the same issue and getting the same error. I was just editing a simple text block and the software suddenly crashed badly, with any message on errors occuring. The weird thing is that i can open other files made with Publisher but the file on which i was working before the crash, is no longer accessible. The file is stored on my Mac HD. I have  the latest Publisher version installed (2 2.0.4) on a Mac Book Pro late 2017, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7 quad-core, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, graphic card Radeon Pro 560 4 GB. 

Please help me because this issue causing me very big business troubles! I wouldn't like to redo the work i have done so far.

In attachment the indicted file. 

1-GW-CONSTRUCTION MGMT PLATFORM-04:23.afpub

Hi @frankdrake60 and welcome to the forums...

See how you get on with the attached Publisher document...

The issue with your file is caused by a known bug which is affecting the linked, placed pdf file on page 10 of your document, i.e., tabella prodotti DEFINITIVA.pdf. Basically when you look at the pdf in Resource Manager it shows as having an Original size of 0 cm x 0 cm and a Placed size of 0 cm x 0 cm.

Would you be able to upload the pdf file so we can take a look to see if there is anything unsual about it?

The cause of the bug is still being investigated by the Development team at Serif but in the mean time I would do the following:

1. Make a copy of the attached repaired Publisher file to work with and store the attached version it in a different location as a backup
  2. if you have the option to open and resave the tabella prodotti DEFINITIVA.pdf then do just that
  3. Place tabella prodotti DEFINITIVA.pdf again on page 10 of your document as required and Save your Publisher file

Hopefully, from that point on you should be okay...

On a general note, is your document just intended for onscreen use? I noted that your file uses an RGB/16 Colour Format with the SMPTE RP 431-2-2007 DCI (P3) colour profile which is normally used when viewing on a display or digital projector so I'm assuming that is intentional especially as your document uses a 16:9 format...

Let us know how you get on.

1-GW-CONSTRUCTION MGMT PLATFORM-04 23 (Repaired).afpub

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi @Andrea Andrea,

Is this a file you are able to upload so we can take a look? If so, a couple of questions:

1. Are you using Affinity Publisher V2.0.4?
  2. Does your file contain Linked or Embeded graphics (if the former, are you able to include these with any upload, ideally including everything in a .zip file)
  3. Are you seeing the same error message, i.e., 'Failed to Open Document - The File Includes Features From a Later Version of Affinity'?

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

7 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Hi @Andrea Andrea,

Is this a file you are able to upload so we can take a look? If so, a couple of questions:

1. Are you using Affinity Publisher V2.0.4?
  2. Does your file contain Linked or Embeded graphics (if the former, are you able to include these with any upload, ideally including everything in a .zip file)
  3. Are you seeing the same error message, i.e., 'Failed to Open Document - The File Includes Features From a Later Version of Affinity'?

It's not Publisher, my issue is with Affinity Designer, but I believe it's the same issue. Unfortunately I can't upload the file I was working on due to privacy concerns, but I've read the comments here and I'm pretty sure it's something to do with a pdf file or the fact that I use an external drive.
My solution was to get another machine that still had Adobe, oh well...

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the update, that's obviously really frustrating for you but also interesting from the point of view that you are experiencing the issue in Designer rather than Publisher, that I've not seen before but I believe you are right that this likely relates to a pdf file.

Aside from using another machine with Illustrator, if you are willing and with a view to try and help, is the pdf in question Linked or Embedded in your Designer document? If it happens to be Linked are you able to make a back up copy of your Designer document and relocate it for safe keeping and then move any relevant pdf's used in your Designer document to a different location then open and resave them (should that be an option) to their original location.

If you are then able to open your Designer file ignoring any message about missing files or opening Resource Manager and resave it using a _02, V2 or appropriate filename suffix and relink the newly saved pdf file/s prior to resaving your Designer document and then see if that allows you to successfully close and open your Designer file.

Failing that, if you'd like someone from the Serif Team to take a look at your files you can request a private DropBox link to upload your files to by replying to this message.

I hope that helps and please let us know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am having a similar problem. Been working on this affinity publisher file for a week and it suddenly crashed. I have the latest version of Affinity Publisher 2 and suddenly it said it can't open because it has features from a later version of Affinity, which is not possible. This is due on Wednesday and I don't have time to restart it, please help!

1 hour ago, AS3 said:

suddenly it said it can't open because it has features from a later version of Affinity, which is not possible

Do you have the 2.1 beta installed, too? 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @AS3 and welcome to the forums,

If you signup and download the latest Publisher Beta which version 2.1.0.1781 you will be able to open your Publisher document.

Check Resource Manager and look for any placed pdf files (or any other files) where the placed size appears as 0px x 0px or the document dpi shows a negative value and note which page they appear on.

Open and resave any problematic files and re import them then save your Publisher with a v2 or similar suffix.

If you need or want to continue working in 2.0.4 then you’ll need to basically copy and paste between the Beta and 2.0.4 but hopefully just working in the latest Beta and replacing any problematic files will resolve your issue and allow you to do what you need with your file in time for the Wednesday deadline.

Any problems then feel free to upload your Publisher file together with any associated graphics and we can take a look for you.

Let us know if that workaround works for you…

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

Hi @AS3 and welcome to the forums,

If you signup and download the latest Publisher Beta which version 2.1.0.1781 you will be able to open your Publisher document.

Check Resource Manager and look for any placed pdf files (or any other files) where the placed size appears as 0px x 0px or the document dpi shows a negative value and note which page they appear on.

Open and resave any problematic files and re import them then save your Publisher with a v2 or similar suffix.

If you need or want to continue working in 2.0.4 then you’ll need to basically copy and paste between the Beta and 2.0.4 but hopefully just working in the latest Beta and replacing any problematic files will resolve your issue and allow you to do what you need with your file in time for the Wednesday deadline.

Any problems then feel free to upload your Publisher file together with any associated graphics and we can take a look for you.

Let us know if that workaround works for you…

Thank you, I will try this!

It's the embedded PDF file on page 24 that's causing your problem. The 2.1 beta can open it, because it has a fix to bypass the problem that triggers that message when you try to Open it.

I think you should be able to download/run the beta. I'm not sure what authentication info you'll need to provide, but it should be the same as for running the retail 2.0.4 version. Note: any .afpub files you Save with 2.1 won't be able to be opened with 2.0.4.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

31 minutes ago, AS3 said:

haven't got an Affinity account, which I need to download the beta, and not sure how to make one without buying a product. 

Ah. Sorry, I didn't fully understand your comment about the University account. I'm not sure how you would access the beta in that case.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Ah. Sorry, I didn't fully understand your comment about the University account. 

Thanks for your help anyway. Would you be able to

tell me the name of the pdf which is causing a problem? just so I know

2 minutes ago, AS3 said:

Would you be able to

tell me the name of the pdf which is causing a problem? just so I know

image.png.47b1831df1bd9090cecb92b4d0c915ea.png

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

@AS3: In case it helps, here's a copy of your file (minus the broken PDF on page 24) that 2.0 should be able to open

wf-file-recovery2.afpub

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome, @AS3 :)

-- Walt
PC: