You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to Open Document - The File Includes Features From a Later Version of Affinity...

Hangman

Apologies if this has already been picked up but receiving this message in Publisher despite running the latest release 2.0.0.(1640) at the time of posting...

227039437_FailedtoOpenDocument.jpg.42abcbc0cd4e3965d1a1661a1bcf0d52.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

That's been reported by a number of users. I haven't seen a bug logged for the Developers yet, though.

Actually, it has been logged: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&tags=AFB-6851

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

That's been reported by a number of users. I haven't seen a bug logged for the Developers yet, though.

Thanks @walt.farrell, the issue of course is that things like this make Publisher 2.0 almost unusable, you spend hours, days, weeks creating a Publisher Document and all of a sudden you are locked out of it with zero way to retrieve your work...

My normal routine would be to make back ups on a daily basis, issues like this make it almost impossible to know what you should do, this happened in the space of a minute from a previous save...

Sadly, this is only one of a number of major bugs causing serious usability problems at the moment...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Some users who have reported this have been saving their files "in the cloud" in some form. I'm not sure if this will prove relevant to the issue, or not.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

@walt.farrell, as in that’s a potential cause of the issue? I only ever save to my internal HD which is where I’m seeing the issue…

I have to agree with @Dan Cross, it really is truly crippling and currently makes using V2 for any mission critical client work a non starter.

Hope this is fixed very rapidly.

4 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

From what I've seen reported lately this is indeed the case with (linked) files on a cloud/nas/lan storage

I can concur I experienced this with linked files but it’s not exclusive to external drives…

I’m wondering if it’s related to the issue with vanishing eps and psd files…

4 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I can concur I experienced this with linked files but it’s not exclusive to external drives…

I’m wondering if it’s related to the issue with vanishing eps and psd files…

I have tested this issue with several different cloud drives too. Once problems began with a file, however, it made no difference if I transferred it to my iPad manually or not. I hope my .apub files are not damaged. 

I've found that it has been logged, as AFB-6851: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&tags=AFB-6851

-- Walt
PC:

I get the same document opening problem on my old MacMini (MacOS 10.13.16 using APublisher 1.10.6) when trying to open Affinity Publisher 2 Document, stored on iCloud from my iMac (using Ventura).  Only workaround I have found to allow me to use my MacMini using Version 1 AP is to Export to PDF from my iMac and open into a new document on MacMini.  Doesn’t appear that AF V2 documents are backwardly compatible to V1. This is a major issue.

BTW I have also tried copying complete document (file + package) between two Macs and still get same pop up error window inferring iCloud not a problem.

1 hour ago, CZM said:

using APublisher 1.10.6) when trying to open Affinity Publisher 2 Document

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 12/7/2022 at 11:42 AM, CZM said:

Doesn’t appear that AF V2 documents are backwardly compatible to V1.

As announced - the formats are not backwards compatible.
image.png.16bc5c7c3213bf2aff733a80b046be78.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have solved this problem on my computer. I had the same exact problem as all of those above. I observed that when I double-clicked my Affinity Publisher files and got the "failed to open" alert, if I went to the "Affinity Publisher" menu and chose "About," it said I was running v.1.XXX of Affinity Publisher. That is interesting because I do not have that version on my active Big Sur boot partition, only V.2.04, with which I created the files being opened only hours before the dreaded "failed to open" alert. If I quit the v.1 it said was open, and opened V.2 directly, then File>open my files, they opened right up. Then I did "get info" on the files themselves and changed the "Open with" box to Affinity Publisher 2 (Affinity Publisher (1) was already the default) and chose "Change all". That solved my problem across all of my files.

Afterwards, I searched for a copy of V. 1 and found it on a different partition that serves as a Mojave dual boot. Somehow, my file (on the active Big Sur partition) created only hours before by V. 2.04 on that partition, when launched from finder, opened V.1 on an inactive and different partition. Weird!

But everything works properly now...so hallelujah!

34 minutes ago, CSCBowhunter said:

I have solved this problem on my computer. I had the same exact problem as all of those above. I observed that when I double-clicked my Affinity Publisher files and got the "failed to open" alert, if I went to the "Affinity Publisher" menu and chose "About," it said I was running v.1.XXX of Affinity Publisher. That is interesting because I do not have that version on my active Big Sur boot partition, only V.2.04, with which I created the files being opened only hours before the dreaded "failed to open" alert. If I quit the v.1 it said was open, and opened V.2 directly, then File>open my files, they opened right up. Then I did "get info" on the files themselves and changed the "Open with" box to Affinity Publisher 2 (Affinity Publisher (1) was already the default) and chose "Change all". That solved my problem across all of my files.

Afterwards, I searched for a copy of V. 1 and found it on a different partition that serves as a Mojave dual boot. Somehow, my file (on the active Big Sur partition) created only hours before by V. 2.04 on that partition, when launched from finder, opened V.1 on an inactive and different partition. Weird!

But everything works properly now...so hallelujah!

Having your documents associated with the wrong version can happen even without separate partitions - I've had it happen with afdesign files multiple times. I just want to point out that this thread is about a bug in Publisher where it shows the 'later version' error even though the document was saved from v2.0.4.

But I'm glad you've solved your problem!

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hi,

I am experiencing this problem today with Affinity Designer 2, a file that was working fine at the beginning of the week (opening and closing no issues) and yet today when I open it I get the failed to open error message 'The file includes features from a later version of Affinity'.

I really need to open this file and cannot. Is there a work around or fix as yet?

Hi @Will_smith and welcome to the forums. Can you confirm that you're opening the file with 2.0.4 and not with an earlier version or the 2.0.3 beta if you still have that installed?

Does the file have linked resources? Where are the file and resources stored?

Which operating system are you using?

If you're in a rush and can't wait for a reply from Serif, you might consider installing the 2.1 beta and trying to open it with that. Or consider uploading the file here so one of us can try it in the beta.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

@MikeTO You are a life (& time) saver I have installed the 2.1 Beta and yes I can open the file in there!

There were two linked resources within the file which I was unaware of but these were picked up and located, not sure if that was causing the issue in 2.0.4 because other files used and created during the same time open fine, one of the files also has a linked resource stored in the same way. The file and resources are both stored within OneDrive.

Thank you so much for your help though, it really is appreciated.

11 hours ago, Will_smith said:

The file and resources are both stored within OneDrive.

It is better to work on local files, and save to external drives (cloud) only for backup and sharing.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having this same problem "Failed to open document - this file includes features from a later version of affinity"

It was fine earlier today.

I have the most up to date version installed 2 2.0.4

My other affinity files seem to be fine, it is just this one. It is stored in the cloud.

Please help as this is a lot of work I have done and I really don't want to have to redo it....

I have also downloaded the beta version as recommended by someone else and - yes it opened my file! BUT it won't let me export it and crashes every time I try so I don't trust that either to look after my work and allow me to do what I need to. This isn't helpful at all and I was really enjoying using Affinity Publisher 2...

Hi @SarahLC, are you able to upload you Publisher document as it may be possible to rebuild it. Are you using linked or embedded graphics in your file?