You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error message: The file contains features from a newer Affinity version

@Jui

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

assume you are wanting to open the file in version 1 that you made changes to with version 2.  Is that correct?  If so, you can't sorry!  Serif have made quite clear that backwards compatibility is not available; once any file is opened and changed in version 2 it will not successfully open again in version 1.

One suggestion I have seen made in the forums is to open both versions of Publisher, "side by side" as it were.  Open your file in version 2 and try to copy/paste elements of it from the version 2 workspace to the version 1 workspace.  This is not guaranteed to work, especially for any feature which is "new" to version 2 and which version 1 cannot read.

As a general rule, you should only work in version 2 on version 1 files if you have first made a copy of the version 1 file and then work on that copy.

I also understand there is an intention, in a future update, to include an onscreen message to this effect, reminding the user to create that copy first when opening a version 1 file in version 2.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

If you are trying to open, in V2, something you Saved in V2, that should work. But some users are reporting problems when they try that, so there is evidently something wrong that Serif will need to fix.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you are trying to open, in V2

According to the description,

6 hours ago, Jui said:

Even after reinstalling version 1, I can't open the file.

it really looks like the OP is trying to open in V1 what he changed/saved in V2, which, as Serif advised, is not possible.

image.png.16bc5c7c3213bf2aff733a80b046be78.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 3 weeks later...

Now, updated publisher 2, I thought this version worked well, because now I can open the file (I created with version 1 and made changes to with version 2) and get no longer the Error message "The file contains features from a newer Affinity version".

But now the problems changed:  I cannot work on this file, which is 600MB big.
It is a music-book, that contains a lot of pdf-Text files and some jpg-pictures.

The program freezes after a while and I can do nothing but a hard-break. Even when I quit the program and start again or restart the computer (iMac, big sur).

With the old Version publisher 1 there were no problems working on large files - if it is one with 600MB.

Any suggestions? 

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi Jui,

I apologise for the delayed response to your post.

Please could you try going into the apps preferences and under performance try disabling Metal Compute acceleration to se if this prevents the freezing when working on a large file?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hallo Callum,

ich habe die Hardware Beschleunigung im Publisher V2 abgeschaltet und das Programm schien nun zunächst nicht einzufrieren.
Ich habe grafischen Text verändert, eine Masterseite geändert und die Datei gespeichert. Das funktionierte.

Ich wollte die Datei nun als PDF exportieren. Das Menü dazu wurde mir angezeigt, aber das Rad im Vorschaufenster drehte sich ewig, ohne aufzuhören.
Ich habe dann auf Export gedrückt, das Export Fenster verschwand und sonst passierte nichts. Es wurde auch kein Fortschritt oder Ähnliches angezeigt.
Der PDF Export wurde nicht erzeugt.

Ich wollte dann das Programm über "Affinity Publisher 2/Beenden" schließen, es schloss sich aber nur die geöffnete Datei.
Das Programm blieb geöffnet und war nur mit einem Hard-Break zu beenden.  

Ergänzung:

Das funktioniert (Export, normales Beenden) weder in der V2 Version als auch in der V2 Beta nicht.
Auch eine Bearbeitung der Datei funktioniert grundsätzlich nicht. Ab und zu kann man einen Bearbeitungsschritt ausführen (Text verändern oder eingebettete Datei aktualisieren), danach friert das Programm wieder ein. 

hello again,

ich habe Publisher V2 beta auf die Version 2.1.0.1709 geupdated.

Leute, was bastelt ihr euch da zusammen?
Das Update lief schon nicht normal, da ich die alte Beta Version "hart" beenden musste. Danach installierte sich dann das Update.
Ich habe dann den Rechner neu gestartet und die beta Version öffnete sich und lud die letzte Datei.
Dann wollte ich eine eingebettet Datei auswählen und das ging schon nicht. Klick darauf und kein Rahmen zeigt sich.
Auch in der Thumbnail Seitenanzeige war das Auswählen von Seiten nicht möglich. Das Hauptfenster blieb auf der zuerst geöffneten Seite stehen.

Das ganze frustet.