You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artboard bleed not exporting in V2

Hi there,

Over the years of using Designer v1, I got accustomed to setting up multiple related items as artboards in a single Designer file—all of the print ads or posters for a particular campaign, for example. Although I found the bleed display bug frustrating as others did, at least any exported PDFs always displayed the bleed as they should. It looks like in v2 this no longer works—I've tried several times to export PDFs from artboards which have bleed active, and would have worked in v1, that do not work in v2.

Thankfully there is a workaround... if I open the Designer file in Publisher and convert to spreads, I can export a PDF that includes bleed. But it would be extremely helpful to have the bug in Designer fixed so I can just use my usual Export persona workflow again!

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I have no issues exporting bleed to PDF (rasterized or not), but to TIFF of other formats, it simply throws it out the window. Bleed is a joke in this app. It's an important part of an image, invisible, but NECESSARY, it's simply extra dimensions that we require, be that vector or raster. I don't understand why developers can't fix this. Working with this app upped my insecurity levels, checking after export if it's there or not.. It's bad when you don't trust an app that you label "professional".

There's also the issue when creating artboard, then filling it with a color, but the bleed remains unfilled. WHY??? Since when is bleed not part of MY document? If I create an artboard with bleed, that means I NEED THAT PART!

If I fill the background with black, why are the bleeds not filled? Isn't it logical if I fill the document with black, I want black background? If you print that document, you will have white edges because your bleed is white. This just adds another step, to make another rectangle as background. And in V1, in 2020 when I started to use designer, it worked nicely, filling document+bleed, as should.

7 hours ago, EmT said:

Hi @DesignStationYT

Could you provide an example file where this occurs?

Does your artboard contain an adjustment layer?

I think you may have identified the issue. Yes, there are adjustments in there—which wasn't an issue with Designer v1. The way I often do these is group background elements and then duplicate and rasterize the duplicate... that way there's no risk of transparency issues or the like in the output. If I delete the (hidden) unrasterized group that I keep if I need to come back and adjust the file, keeping only a rasterized background element, it looks like the bleed works.

Again, not an issue in Designer v1, or if you open as spreads in Publisher v2. Example file attached. 

4N - Christmas 2022 - Commercial Development Cookie Tag.afdesign

I'm sorry to pick on you EmT, as you are not a dev, but simply a gateway between them and us. All our bugs are reported in separate threads, labeled as known issues, since V1, yet still no fix on any of them or ANY news.. Why can't they simply announce a patch coming in january or february, so we know at least when to expect some fixes?? At the moment I can't even imagine when will a fix come, for all the serious bug (crashes, freeze, unable to save, selecting errors, etc.). Will it be in the spring, in the summer? Next winter?

Why is it such a big secret? "A fix is on the way in 1-2 months" is more comforting than "labeled and passed on to be fixed in the unknown future".

23 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

a trick/workaround

Another quick workaround:

1. create a totally blank rectangle of the size of the bleed as a child of the artboard
  2. clip the whole content of the artboard (but not the artboard itself) with the blank rectangle (aka paste/move inside)

So that the layer hierarchy is:
Artboard > rectangle > all the rest

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff

@norbinw Serif does not generally give timeframes for bug fixes and patches. This can be due to any potential and unforeseen issues and or regressions that may appear during internal testing. 

If you check the News and Information page, there are some links and information on current v2 Beta builds. 

• 11 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Bleed fails to export when you have an adjustment layer on an artboard" (REF: AF-413) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2150".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.