You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Boolean Operations Problems

Every time when I'm creating a logotype and then I want to "add" everything to one shape... It is a very clunky process. It was similar feeling in Affinity 1.X. Sorry to say that, but I don't see much improvement on working with shapes. Options like "expand / add / subtract" still bugs out quite a lot. On files that I have added you can see something that happens to me pretty frequently - for some reason when I try to add two shapes to make it one it creates reversed options etc. In general I wish to be able to create a logo, then expand strokes and then just combine it easily. Now I have to try to do so many tricks to get it right and sometimes I'm stuck like this time. In this situation I will probably get those two shapes, cut it out from bigger rectangle option and try to add it again.

Boolean Operations.png

Boolean Operations.afdesign

This is weird, indeed: If you create a non-destructive compound instead and then move one of the objects around, you can see that depending on the respective position, the compound can be correct while on the other hand, in some places both objects will virtually annihilate.

Copying the separate curves to Designer v1 and applying Geometry > Add gives the expected result.

Definitely a bug in v2!

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I think I had better luck just drawing lots of lines 5pt 10pt and 15pt and expand stroke. Then instead of joining parts just used the shapebuilder tool to delete parts not needed then right at the end did a geometry add. But agree there is still something not correct with the geometry tools 

Image 25-11-2022 at 09.51.jpg

Boolean Operations PM.afdesign

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Add gives incorrect results compared to V1 on users file" (REF: AFD-6248) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.