You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Group selection Problem in Affinity Designer V2

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem: when grouping several objects (by pressing "Group") they stick together and I can move them as a group. But once they are deselected, they aren't grouped any more. This is in marked contrast to the old version of Affinity Designer.

1 hour ago, wler said:

I have a similar problem: when grouping several objects (by pressing "Group") they stick together and I can move them as a group. But once they are deselected, they aren't grouped any more.

If you can, please post a screenshot of the Layers panel showing these items after deselecting the group.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Designer v2 has a new option in the Move tool context toolbar: Select Item in Group
Make sure it is inactive.
affinity.help/designer2/en-US.lproj/pages/Tools/tools_move.html

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 4 months later...
22 minutes ago, zzbrufador said:

Such an unnecessary option, only makes a confusion.

IIRC, this was added because some users requested it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 6 months later...

There are some utterly bizarre changes implemented in V2. As stated above, this change is deeply frustrating when working with many objects and a few groups, I can't select the groups, or I can select the groups but then can't select the objects. Why the flying fudge can't I select both or either? 

And @R C-R saying that this was requested by some users, that's fine, but any modern developer should implement optin-optout ability for anything like this, so that I as a user can then turn this new feature off if desired. 

This is another fking hassle. 

Sorry I'm stressed as something that was previously easy to do has become tedious with this - along with other - "updates" to Affinity Designer V2. 

12 minutes ago, MartinMHC said:

... but any modern developer should implement optin-optout ability for anything like this,

Isn't that in effect what the Move Tool selector offers?

11 minutes ago, MartinMHC said:

Per version 2.2.1 The Move tool has a drop down selector for canvas selecting either objects or groups, but not both.  

How would a 'both' option determine if you wanted to select groups or objects in them?

EDIT: More to the point, how would this differ from the Auto-Select: On (Default) option?

Affinity Photo 

@R C-R from my use of Designer 2.21 today, re:  "Isn't that in effect what the Move Tool selector offers?" No, the move tool allows EITHER group  or object selection but NOT BOTH . 

Auto select seems to not select groups, in my usage, maybe because objects vastly out numbers groups in the document I've been working on so the program decides I don't want to ever select groups, but either way, it is what it is ... 

"How would a 'both' option determine if you wanted to select groups or objects in them?" I have no idea how this works! 🤣😂🤣

38 minutes ago, MartinMHC said:

Auto select seems to not select groups, in my usage

With which option doesn't it do that? There are 3, one of which is default. Did you try that?

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, MartinMHC said:

That's the issue, that I can select objects OR groups but I can never select EITHER. 

I have no idea what you mean about OR vs.  EITHER. What is the difference between selecting objects OR Groups & selecting either one or the other?

AFAIK, the Auto-select Default option works just like V1 did. What specifically do you think is different?

Affinity Photo 

On 11/15/2023 at 12:32 PM, MartinMHC said:

"How would a 'both' option determine if you wanted to select groups or objects in them?" I have no idea how this works!

Set it up so Auto select is checked and use the Default setting. One click will select the group, a double click will select the object you do the double click on (or group if you have several objects and groups grouped).

ScreenShot2023-11-17at10_35_55AM.png.3e8f1b38a9e6e8a35d58f8e73c2f978a.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Set it up so Auto select is checked and use the Default setting. One click will select the group, a double click will select the object you do the double click on (or group if you have several objects and groups grouped).

But that doesn't provide any way for the app to automatically determine if it is the parent group or any of its child objects that the user wants to select. I'm far from sure, but this seems to be what @MartinMHC wants from his strangely worded 'OR/EITHER' comment. 

Besides, isn't this exactly like how it worked in V1?

Affinity Photo