You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing Fonts Installed in ~/Library/Fonts

Affinity Publisher 2 (and 1) and the rest of the Affinity suite are not loading fonts that are installed in ~/Library/Fonts after upgrading to macOS 13.0 (Ventura). This has caused Publisher to report that there are essential fonts missing from documents.

These fonts were unavailable across the os after upgrading, but upon reinstalling, they are available to other apps, just not Affinity apps.

Please advise if there is more information necessary to help resolve this issue.

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

They all seem to be working. I'm not sure what could have happened here. Have you tried restarting your Mac? 

Many times. I have tried removing the font cache and then restarting. I have tried moving the fonts to different places and then restarting.

2 hours ago, PeterB. said:

@Mike Muszynski Do you actually use a font manager?

Beyond Font Book, no.

21 minutes ago, PeterB. said:

Have you tried using a different font manager? For example Typeface from the AppStore. As far as I know, this also works in the free version. At least to see if it changes anything.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with them once they are in Typeface. They still don't show up in either Font Book or the Affinity suite apps.

Progress: if I unpack the ttc and install the ttf files separately, they are recognized in Font Book and other apps, just not Affinity suite.

6 hours ago, Mike Muszynski said:

Athelas and its four variants. Book Antiqua. Times. I suppose it is only 6 fonts.

Those fonts are what Apple calls "Document-support fonts" that they have apparently stopped including - so they hide them.
See:
Fonts included with macOS Monterey
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212587#document

Fonts included with macOS Ventura
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213266#document

"These fonts are available only to documents that already use the font, or to apps that request the font by name. Some are older fonts that were included with earlier versions of macOS or Apple apps."

We ran into this earlier here in the forum with the Seravek font (a few times).
There are some work-arounds here:

I would extract the files from the TTC and then rename the fonts using something like TransType.

1 hour ago, kenmcd said:

Those fonts are what Apple calls "Document-support fonts" that they have apparently stopped including - so they hide them.
See: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212587#document

"These fonts are available only to documents that already use the font, or to apps that request the font by name. Some are older fonts that were included with earlier versions of macOS or Apple apps."

We ran into this earlier here in the forum with the Seravek font (a few times).
There are some work-arounds here:

I would extract the files from the TTC and then rename them using something like TransType.

Unfortunately, the procedure linked in this thread no longer works in Ventura, as the location that files must be deleted from is a "read-only filesystem."

I have had a small amount of success downloading FontForge and creating a NEW font out of Athelas, with the only change being to call it Athelas 2020. For some reason, it still shows up as Athelas in the font menu, but it's missing in the font manager in Publisher and can be replaced by... Athelas.

This whole thing is just bizarre.

34 minutes ago, Mike Muszynski said:

This is exactly what it looks like.

Then why do you suspect a bug in Affinity if Font Book doesn't show it either?

As @kenmcd noted, there are fonts in macOS that are not meant to be fully accessible to us users. This also includes a bunch of font files whose file names begin with a . (dot) in order to be invisible, for instance in System > Library > Fonts …

695478886_fontssystemlibraryinvisiblehidden.thumb.jpg.e759d31bea88f459c9b97f9ac3047f82.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1