You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer V2 and Image Trace

10 hours ago, R C-R said:

Can you include this AD V2 file or another one showing the same thing in a reply?

Seconded!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

29 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Seconded!

It's just an image? I feel uncomfortable sharing as it isn't my artwork.

After dragging the image onto the background of Affinity Designer, it doesn't just open the file (like all other images I have tried)—but it traces the shapes in the image! This is on a Mac M1 running 2.4.0.

And Image tracing is not a feature (yet) right? Maybe this is indications of a feature they are working on?

Here is the Layers tab:

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 08.09.53.png

I don’t think you’ve traced anything. Your Layers panel shows multiple curves, but in all other respects the result that you got looks like the result that I get if I draw a complex self-intersecting curve like this one

IMG_0369.jpeg.532c461e00be30c7cdfa36b772a9f784.jpeg

and use it to mask an image on the layer below:

IMG_0370.jpeg.2bce51061ec6837aa33239da5e025057.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
2 hours ago, Gatada said:

It's just an image? I feel uncomfortable sharing as it isn't my artwork.

After dragging the image onto the background of Affinity Designer, it doesn't just open the file (like all other images I have tried)—but it traces the shapes in the image! This is on a Mac M1 running 2.4.0.

And Image tracing is not a feature (yet) right? Maybe this is indications of a feature they are working on?

Here is the Layers tab:

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 08.09.53.png

You are most likely opening a PSD, SVG, AI or PDF file (files that contains multiple types of data/objects (raster, vector etc), not a regular raster format (PNG, JPG, etc).
What's the extension of the original file?

5 hours ago, Gatada said:

"It" is "Affinity Designer", sorry, thought that was clear.

I meant what tool in AD was doing this, or was selected when you saw the vectors, but I think you already have the answer; namely, that the file of the type you opened already included vector objects. There was no tracing, auto or otherwise, happening in AD.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, Gatada said:

Image tracing is not a feature (yet) right? Maybe this is indications of a feature they are working on?

The only "image tracing feature" currently available in Affinity is this:

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 3/21/2024 at 10:20 AM, MEB said:

You are most likely opening a PSD, SVG, AI or PDF file (files that contains multiple types of data/objects (raster, vector etc), not a regular raster format (PNG, JPG, etc).
What's the extension of the original file?

I'll do my best to not take that as an insult.

MIME type is image/jpeg, the extension—which can be easily change, and therefore means little—is jpg.

The full details: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01, resolution (DPI), density 300x300, segment length 16, baseline, precision 8, 1500x820, frames 3 (Lepton 2.x), scale 0-0, spot sensor temperature 0.000000, unit celsius, color scheme 0, calibration: offset 0.000000, slope 0.000000

Using a HEX editor I can see that the image is made with Photoshop 3.0.8.

On 3/21/2024 at 12:52 PM, R C-R said:

I meant what tool in AD was doing this, or was selected when you saw the vectors, but I think you already have the answer; namely, that the file of the type you opened already included vector objects. There was no tracing, auto or otherwise, happening in AD.

As I said, I did nothing other than dragging the image onto the background of Affinity Designer.

But I am sure you are right. It is a JPEG image as far as I can tell, but I bet it has some vector data baked in. I just didn't think that was possible. I have never experienced it before, so wanted to share it here.. Maybe a mistake. Sorry.

• Staff
35 minutes ago, Gatada said:

I'll do my best to not take that as an insult.

MIME type is image/jpeg, the extension—which can be easily change, and therefore means little—is jpg.

The full details: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01, resolution (DPI), density 300x300, segment length 16, baseline, precision 8, 1500x820, frames 3 (Lepton 2.x), scale 0-0, spot sensor temperature 0.000000, unit celsius, color scheme 0, calibration: offset 0.000000, slope 0.000000

Using a HEX editor I can see that the image is made with Photoshop 3.0.8.

Hi Gatada,
I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. If it's a jpg then it means it contains clipping paths which are imported as vector masks in Affinity apps.

1 hour ago, Gatada said:

It is a JPEG image as far as I can tell, but I bet it has some vector data baked in. I just didn't think that was possible. I have never experienced it before

Here's a thread with quite some infos on JPEGs with clipping paths: 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

59 minutes ago, loukash said:

Here's a thread with quite some infos on JPEGs with clipping paths:

<pedantry>
Unlike some other languages, ‘information’ in English is uncountable: there’s no plural form, so the abbreviation is always ‘info’.
</pedantry>

Alfred spacer.png