You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

pdf export not working

RyS

Hi Thanks. It is really strange, after trying for 2 days, it worked yesterday evening but then I had to make changes this morning and it is not working. Before I was not able to export only in small format PDF (only HD worked) but this morning none of the export options PDF worked. If I have no solution, I will have to redo it completely on indesign. But I like Affinity but for now it is difficult to think redoing 2 weeks of work again.

I will let you know too. but I have tried many things and none are working

1 hour ago, AngeliqueG said:

Hello everyone

unfortunately, it is no longer working today. Even exporting in HD does not work.

Does someone have a solution ? because I really need to send this PDF urgently today

It is really an issue, how can I trust and design an full catalogue if I cannot export it at the end. 

thanks

I managed to get a preview version of 40 pages by rasterising everything to 144DPI - good enough for my client to check copy while I try to fix the problem.
See attached for settings. The preset for smallest Digital PDF was stuck in a loop.

Publisher_kZb4grRIgV.png

• Staff

Sorry to hear you're both having trouble here, we'll need to see a copy of your PDFlog to better understand the cause of this for you - as a log should be generated once you start exporting, even if the export does not complete successfully.

Can you please follow the steps in the below FAQ, then try exporting your document once again. This should generate a PDF log file, which you can then attach to your reply here.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
On 11/15/2022 at 7:03 AM, fragmichdochnet said:

My file, which cannot be exported, has now also produced a log file, see attachment

Thanks for providing this for me! I can see the PDF is failing to export on 'Page 7' (note this may be Page 7 in your file, or Page 14 if are are exporting full spreads), seemingly showing an issue with a Master Page - do either of these pages in your .afpub file have a different Master Page setup that other pages? Are you able to provide a screenshot of the layer setup of these pages for me?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

18 minutes ago, ChrisNZAK said:

I managed to get a preview version of 40 pages by rasterising everything to 144DPI - good enough for my client to check copy while I try to fix the problem.
See attached for settings. The preset for smallest Digital PDF was stuck in a loop.

Publisher_kZb4grRIgV.png

Thanks. Just tried not working for me

• Staff

Thanks for providing this for me - similar to my post above, your log shows an issue with a 'Template' (read, Master Page) on 'Page 3' - which again may be page 3 or page 6 of your actual file, depending on if you are exporting full spreads or individual pages.

Are you able to provide a screenshot of the Layers Studio for these pages? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi Dan, I know that some of my problems may be placed pdf content which has come from other designers. When I run the Preflight there are Font issues.
All the Advertisments have fonts embedded in the pdf - only one has a spot colour.

I have managed to make the Press Ready version of 40 pages - even though I did not fix issues with Ads in preflight.
Still can't output the Digital version though.
I've attached both logs 00:57:20 is the Digital version with error message
00:54:53 is the high res version that worked.

pdflib.log pdflib.log

• Staff

Thanks @AngeliqueG, I'd like to request a copy of the .afpub so I can test further here. Please upload your file to the below link, then reply here once this has been done - 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/gSFq1ldG8kTxh4XTe19X

_________________________________________________________________________________

Many thanks for providing these @ChrisNZAK - I can see your PDF export fails on Page 24 for a very similar reason to above, though I'm unsure why this is unaffected when exporting to the High Resolution preset.

Can you please provide a copy of your document for me also? This can be uploaded to this link -

https://www.dropbox.com/request/eT5BZ7DJl5tba12gWCNY

Once provided, please reply here to let me know!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Apologies, not for now - hopefully the .afpub should be enough for me to identify this :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Thanks @AngeliqueG, I'd like to request a copy of the .afpub so I can test further here. Please upload your file to the below link, then reply here once this has been done - 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/gSFq1ldG8kTxh4XTe19X

_________________________________________________________________________________

Many thanks for providing these @ChrisNZAK - I can see your PDF export fails on Page 24 for a very similar reason to above, though I'm unsure why this is unaffected when exporting to the High Resolution preset.

Can you please provide a copy of your document for me also? This can be uploaded to this link -

Once provided, please reply here to let me know!

I have sent the file. I have just noticed something strange; look at that. it is a .pub but the logo colour and name are indicated designer

• Staff
10 minutes ago, AngeliqueG said:

I have sent the file

Thanks for providing that for me! I can see on Page 3 that your Master page had objects applied to both the left and right spread, however the Master Page itself was only applied to the left hand spread, causing the failure to export.

I have ensured that both Page 2 & 3 are affected by this Master Page, then exported to PDF (digital - small size) without issues.

I will be returning this file through Dropbox to your email address now, please keep an eye out for this email.

12 minutes ago, AngeliqueG said:

I have just noticed something strange; look at that. it is a .pub but the logo colour and name are indicated designer

This is simply the 'Default Application' that has been set for this file type - if you right click on the .afpub file and select Open With > Choose another app, then in the dialog that appears, select Publisher and tick the option for Always use this app to open .afpub files - you should then find the icon shown here is for Publisher and not Designer :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff
24 minutes ago, ChrisNZAK said:

I also tried placing the Ads in Picture frames rather than placing direct - it seemed to help, but I don't know why?

That's certainly interesting to hear - with the Ads placed in a Picture Frame, and the PDF document selected in the Layers Studio, what is set for the PDF Passthrough dropdown box on the context toolbar? I suspect this will be set to Passthrough, but I'd just like to confirm :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

13 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for providing that for me! I can see on Page 3 that your Master page had objects applied to both the left and right spread, however the Master Page itself was only applied to the left hand spread, causing the failure to export.

I have ensured that both Page 2 & 3 are affected by this Master Page, then exported to PDF (digital - small size) without issues.

I will be returning this file through Dropbox to your email address now, please keep an eye out for this email.

This is simply the 'Default Application' that has been set for this file type - if you right click on the .afpub file and select Open With > Choose another app, then in the dialog that appears, select Publisher and tick the option for Always use this app to open .afpub files - you should then find the icon shown here is for Publisher and not Designer :)

Thanks Dan; I downloaded the file you sent me but it is still not working; same error message. Do I have to apply the double master page on all the document ? I though we could select whatever pages and not a double one as master

• Staff

Sorry to hear this and thanks for the updated PDFlog - I can see in the above log this actually completed page 3 and then failed elsewhere - I have just sent another document via Dropbox to you. Can you please try this one for me? :)

24 minutes ago, AngeliqueG said:

Do I have to apply the double master page on all the document ? I though we could select whatever pages and not a double one as master

No, it's certainly possible to have only the left or right hand spread affected by 1 master page, rather than the double spread - however the issue in your file appears as though there are master page objects on one of these spreads, with no relevant master applied. I have simply reapplied the masters to these pages, checking the Layers setup carefully after doing so & this appears to resolve the issue on my end!

Please note -

Many thanks!

I'm late to the party. I have the same issue exporting a previously Indesign project file.

For a school newspaper, we used Adobe Indesign until now. We now decided to give Affinity Publisher a try. I played around with V1 some month ago but never worked on a real project with V1. I noticed the update to V2 and installed it. I opened the last Indesign project and did some changes for the new edition of our newspaper. When trying to export the whole project that contains of 36 pages, i got the same error from above. Exporting from page 2 to 36 worked. Deleting page 1 and exporting the remaining project worked as well.

Copy the content from page 1, deleting page 1, creating a new page and paste the content did not work.

But this trick did the job for me. I deleted page 1 and created a new empty page 1. I opend the Indesign file with Affinity Publisher V1, copied the contend of page 1, switched over to V2 and pasted the content of page 1. Now the export in V2 worked for me.

I don't know exactly what's causing this error. I'm attaching 4 log files. The pdflib_paste-page1-from-V1-worked.log one was from my successfully copy/paste attempt from V1 to V2.

pdflib_single_page_1-error.log pdflib_default-first-attempt_error.log pdflib_new.log pdflib_paste-page1-from-V1-worked.log

Edited by D. Bakel

• Staff

@ChrisNZAK, I've checked for a copy of your document and unfortunately it doesn't appear as though this has been uploaded to our Dropbox yet - can you please try this again for me?

@D. Bakel, Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I can see from the .log files provided that this is occuring due to a '0 size' template on Page 1 - though I'm going to need to see a copy of this .afpub file to investigate further.

Can you please upload a copy of your .afpub file that fails to export to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/Wv5f4mGcX71zJHtejNKz

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know!

Please note -

Many thanks!

@Dan CThanks for quick response. File is uploaded. In Rhino3D there are some tools that let users inspect their own file for errors and fix them. Maybe it would be a good idea if you also add such a tool to Affinity that let users inspect their file and fix it without a support team. Would be easy to remove a '0 size' template if i could identify it.