You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Migrate v1 Photo prefs / Studio presets to v2?

Apologies in advance if this has been answered, but I scanned the topics and didn't see it.

Is there a way to migrate my v1 Photo preferences to v2? I realize they're not identical (obviously!) but unless it would be detrimental, migrating my prefs and saved Studio presets would be a nice jump start (at a minimum). I don't plan on keeping v1 once I'm comfortable with 2.

Thanks!

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

I'am also very interested in this topic. I tried to copy the preset folder from V1 to V2, but it doesn't work. The safed studio is visible in v2, but if I select it, nothing happens. It's crucial for me to have the same tool on the same place and all do it new by hand would be very time consuming on all 3 Apps.  

• Staff

Hi @lphilpot & @3joern,

I can confirm that due to the overhaul of the UI in V2, the Studio Presets from V1 aren't compatible - unfortunately you will need to manually create new Studio Presets in V2.

However, Keyboard Shortcuts can be exported from the Preferences dialog in V1, then imported into V2 as required.

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I put 1 on my left monitor, 2 on my right and it only took a few minutes to reconfigure 2. To be clear, I'm a Photo-only user and had only one default Studio Preset. But a migration ability of some sort would certainly be a benefit to others, I'm sure.

One thing that would be nice in regard to Studio Presets is the ability to simply save the currently active preset, instead of having to "create" it anew each time and overwrite the existing Preset. Just add a "Save preset" choice to the menu.

Thanks.

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

6 hours ago, lphilpot said:

One thing that would be nice in regard to Studio Presets is the ability to simply save the currently active preset, instead of having to "create" it anew each time and overwrite the existing Preset. Just add a "Save preset" choice to the menu.

Can't you do that via Window > Studio > Add Preset...? You just have to set up everything however you want, click that, & give the preset a name.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Can't you do that via Window > Studio > Add Preset...? You just have to set up everything however you want, click that, & give the preset a name.

Yes, that's what I do. But if I later go back and tweak my setup, in order to save it I have to retype the name of the Preset exactly the same and tell Photo to overwrite it. Having a vanilla "save" choice that assumes the current setup / preset name and doesn't prompt would be nice. IOW, assume I want to save / overwrite just like in any word processor, spreadsheet, etc., when Save is chosen (not Save As).

Len

I will make screenshots from my 2 displays for Studio panels left and right from center canvas display for each app and two times more for the Studios from Studio Link.

That makes 8 displays to fill with single Studio windows in the place where I used to find them.

In the past I did all that twice for Seperated Mode – and very often in times of Studio presets yet to come. Three-display-setups can mess this stuff up on a regular basis.

I will see how that goes with v2 and Float View to Window. *sigh
🤷‍♂️

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

17 hours ago, lphilpot said:

Yes, that's what I do. But if I later go back and tweak my setup, in order to save it I have to retype the name of the Preset exactly the same and tell Photo to overwrite it. Having a vanilla "save" choice that assumes the current setup / preset name and doesn't prompt would be nice. IOW, assume I want to save / overwrite just like in any word processor, spreadsheet, etc., when Save is chosen (not Save As).

In that case I used to copy the name from the Rename feature inside Studio Presets Manager. 🤷‍♂️

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

• 1 year later...
On 11/9/2022 at 5:00 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @lphilpot & @3joern,

I can confirm that due to the overhaul of the UI in V2, the Studio Presets from V1 aren't compatible - unfortunately you will need to manually create new Studio Presets in V2.

However, Keyboard Shortcuts can be exported from the Preferences dialog in V1, then imported into V2 as required.

I hope this helps :)

I find this almost unbelievable. Those presets represent a lot of work. Could you not have warned us of this before updating? We could at least have made notes to help recreate them.

30 minutes ago, Haitch said:

I find this almost unbelievable. Those presets represent a lot of work. Could you not have warned us of this before updating? We could at least have made notes to help recreate them.

Installing V2 does not uninstall V1, so you should still be able to run it and take those notes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1