You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting current page

ashf

Exporting the "Current Page" always export the left page of the active spread.
Selecting the right page on the Pages panel doesn't affect the export.
I think users should be able to export the selected page on the Page panel?

BTW, If I select an object on the right page, I can export the right page, but this is not intuitive.

I never noticed it before, but I can confirm this. Seems odd behaviour, you would assume you could export either page in the same way, without having to select an object on it! 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

23 minutes ago, GarryP said:

If you have nothing selected, how does the software know which page you think of as the 'current' one?

Having said that, if a page is selected in the Pages Panel then I would expect that to be the ‘current’ one.

Yes by using the Pages panel

But what if a page isn’t selected in the Pages Panel?
What should the ‘current’ page be when nothing – layers or pages – is selected?
The software allows us to export the ‘current’ page without us telling it what the current page is.
This is isn’t the issue you brought up but it probably needs some thinking about as it’s about the same thing.

I would assume that I need to select something before I can export it! Also, if I select a page in the Pages Panel, I would expect that to be the page that is exported, not the one opposite it.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I think the current situation is, when using “Current Page” in the Export dialog:

1. Layer selected on page means that page is exported – this works;
  2. Page selected on Pages Panel means that page should be exported – this isn’t what happens, needs fixing;
  3. Nothing is selected at all – this is currently ‘undefined’ but defaulted by the software, needs to be thought about.

My current idea for an answer to the question “Which page is the current page when nothing is selected?” is that it could be: “The page whose centre is nearest the centre of the viewport.”

My thinking behind this is that I usually think of the current page as the one I last looked at or worked on.
And the one I last looked at or worked on is usually the one which I can see most of, because that’s the one I am currently concerned with.
And that’s the page which will usually have its centre nearest to the centre of the viewport.
As far as I can tell, this works both for a page that is zoomed in and the occasions where I can see multiple pages (or parts of multiple pages) at the same time.
It’s not always true but it’s true for most of the time as far as my memory goes.