You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing background from black to transparent

Hi All,

I'm in emergency mode helping a ton of people with a plethora of questions on the run at a public library after Hurricane Ian.

I need to change this .png from a black background to transparent so when we print 50 copies of it on flyer it doesn't consume a lot of ink.

Is there an easy/quick way to to do that in A-Pub?

Screenshots would be most appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and  help.

Charles.

000 10-24-2022 CHARCO Library - Assets Page.png

You do realize that then you'll have White on White for things like The New York Times. Here is a quick and nasty change using the Flood Select tool, AKA Magic Wand, to delete the background and then the White letters selected via the Marquee tool and inverted. If possible look for the logos from the various sources' websites, Times from the Times etc. You'll most likely be able to grab some better copies with black on white.

background.png.c9c1aaeff2108dacc79aa1eb280f7d85.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Here is a quick and nasty change using the Flood Select tool, AKA Magic Wand, to delete the background...

Since the OP mentioned doing this in APub, unless they have AP as well (so they can switch to its Photo Persona), they will not have access to the Flood Select Tool.... 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi vkr,

I wear a lot of hats at our public library (3D printing learning, fixing, teaching, creating running an marketing programs and other library tasks) I'm rarely assigned to working  on A-Pub skills (even beginner) of Affinity Publisher. I'm usually at a different assigned desk each hour of the day multitasking through a variety of software programs. So, I apologize for such a basic question but once I get to that vector page (by simply loading the graphic image tgo A-Pub) if you could please possibly provide screen shots of the steps you take to then substitute a black background for white or how to substitute a black background for transparent that would be immensely helpful to me. It's fascinating to me how everyone has different methods which work for them. Thank you so much.

@chasm, if you are talking about the digital_library file that @v_kyr posted above, the background is transparent, so to set it to black, white, or any other color, simply add a rectangle that covers the entire page, artboard, or canvas set to use the fill color of your choice, & move it to the bottom of the layer stack.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi RC-R,

We have Affinity Publisher loaded on a desktop PC at the library. I'm not sure what the letters AP stand for that you mentioned to switch to Photo Personal?

Thank you for your help.

Since the OP mentioned doing this in APub, unless they have AP as well (so they can switch to its Photo Persona), they will not have access to the Flood Select Tool....

26 minutes ago, R C-R said:

@chasm, if you are talking about the digital_library file that @v_kyr posted above, the background is transparent, so to set it to black, white, or any other color, simply add a rectangle that covers the entire page, artboard, or canvas set to use the fill color of your choice, & move it to the bottom of the layer stack.

How does one access the digital_library file v_kyr mentioned?

5 minutes ago, chasm said:

I'm not sure what the letters AP stand for

AP is one of the official abbreviations for Affinity Photo. That's why it is automatically underlined in replies & why if you hover the mouse pointer over it, a popup will appear identifying it as "Affinity Photo."

5 minutes ago, chasm said:

How does one access the digital_library file v_kyr mentioned?

Just click on its name at the bottom of the post above by @v_kyr to download it, where there is a paperclip icon preceding the file name.

Affinity Photo 

Hi R C-R, Thank you so much for that helpful explanation. I haven't used Affinity Photo yet, just a little of A-Pub. So, when I click on the paperclip icon preceding the file name that doesn't just download a file with the Cloud Library, Kanopy, etc. it downloads a whole software application for A-Pub and then installs that application to run wit A-Pub every time you open A-Pub? Thank you again.

45 minutes ago, chasm said:

So, when I click on the paperclip icon preceding the file name that doesn't just download a file with the Cloud Library, Kanopy, etc.

Are you clicking on the "digital_library.afdesign" file at the bottom of this post above or something else? It should look like this:

1547505594_digital_librarylink.jpg.3f344ada93cd716d74754047c397601f.jpg

If you click on that, the file @v_kyr attached to that post should download to your computer. Even though it has the afdesign extension, you should be able to open it in APub.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, chasm said:

Yes, I see that file and can open it even in MS Paint to see the digital library file.

AFAIK, only the Affinity apps can open files in the native Affinity file format, those with the afdesign, afpub, or afphoto file extension. So are you sure you can open the "digital_library.afdesign" file in MS Paint?

That seems highly unlikely.

Affinity Photo 

When I click on that attachment and it opens  to a smaller viewer where I can see it. I have MS Paint on this laptop set as my default viewer. This laptop doesn't have a graphics card so I have A-Pub loaded on another laptop (work).  Thank you.

2 hours ago, chasm said:

When I click on that attachment and it opens  to a smaller viewer where I can see it. I have MS Paint on this laptop set as my default viewer.

So to be clear, you are saying you can open this .afdesign file in MS Paint?

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, chasm said:

I have to save it to a flash drive and then open it on the work laptop which has A-Pub loaded.

Or you could just use the laptop to open this topic in a browser & download the file directly to it....

Affinity Photo