You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer (Windows) Crashes on Export

Version 1.10.5.1342

When exporting (File>Export) Designer will crash about one out of 10 times. The crash will sometimes take place when changing the JPG Quality slider other times when in the process of exporting. Often the crash will be Designer. On occasion, Windows (11) will crash - get the blue screen of death. In one Windows crash received the System Service Exception file: win32kbase.sys.

6 minutes ago, Garret Rain said:

On occasion, Windows (11) will crash - get the blue screen of death. In one Windows crash received the System Service Exception file: win32kbase.sys.

The Affinity applications run as user-level applications, and should not be able to cause Windows itself to crash. That would require errors in kernel-level applications, such as GPU drivers.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @Garret Rain,

This would only indicate that Designer is attempting to use/access specific system files that other applications may not use - Walt is correct above in the statement that Affinity cannot cause BSODs on Windows.

17 hours ago, Garret Rain said:

System Service Exception file: win32kbase.sys.

From a Google Search, this usually indicates System File corruption, so I would recommend following the suggestions below -

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/win32kbase-sys-blue-screen-error-fixed/

I hope this clears things up!

In addition to the advice above, to which type of storage did you last export from Designer? Local hard drive, network storage, cloud service, etc?

If the storage ‘location’ no longer ‘exists’ – e.g. disconnected NAS, etc. – then that could cause a problem if Designer is trying to access something which isn’t there.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me - it's very likely the crashing in Designer upon export is caused by the same issue that triggers the BSOD, but we can certainly double check for you.

Firstly, can you please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports

In the window that opens, please select the 3 most recently created .DMP files, then upload these to your reply here.

Secondly, we're aware of the latest Windows updates causing crashing in WPF apps, including Affinity - please check the following FAQ for more information and steps on how to remove this update to stop the crashing -

Many thanks in advance!

20 minutes ago, Garret Rain said:

So, not sure why the file date is not current.

Crashes don't always produce crash reports, unfortunately.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The Windows crashes tend to follow this Designer exportation pattern. I am working on marking up photos in Designer. The process will be working fine and then Designer will crash on an export. I will reopen Designer and get back to work. Then after an export or two Designer will crash. This will happen a time or two more and then Windows will crash with the blue screen. The blue screen will take some time to close noting it is gathering/saving a crash report. But alas, this must not be true...

• Staff

Many thanks for providing this crash report for me!

I can see the Affinity app is crashing whilst rendering, which may indicate an issue with your GPU drivers, and this could also explain the BSODs you are seeing.

I'd recommend fully removing all installed GPU drivers using DDU (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) then installing a newly downloaded version of your GPU drivers, directly from your manufacture.

Can you also please open the Affinity app and navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me? :)

• Staff

Thanks for providing these for me! I'd recommend unticking Hardware Acceleration in the Preferences dialog, as well as removing and reinstalling your GPU drivers, then try exporting once again - does this stop the crashing behaviour please? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Dan C.

Here are the dump files you requested. I crashed on me again today, but not with the blue screen. Now, I had not been using this process on this PC. But when I did today, Designer took a dump.

Also, I followed all of the previous direction on un-installing and then re-installing the AMD video drivers.

I see the note on the Hardware Acceleration, I will untick it. 

Thank you!

Garret

b85dbfc7-1cee-4cd6-a470-4ded9c5e35ec.dmp 81f497de-1a39-4cb4-a257-0f09f198d106.dmp fac5dcd8-5849-4515-9322-f8dddf7d6759.dmp

7 hours ago, Garret Rain said:

Looking down the list of "suspect" updates I compared with my Win 11 update history and found no matches. 

You have at least this one "KB5018546", which is on the list

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I guess you can try a CTRL runup, which means keep the CTRL key held down then start Affinity Designer.

In the dialogue that appears keep the first 3 selected and also select "Reset File Export Presets" then click the Clear button

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response here @Garret Rain - I've double checked your crash reports provided and these all appear to be crashing within the AMD drivers for your GPU.

I appreciate you have installed the latest drivers already, so I'd like to try removing all GPU drivers currently installed, then re-installing the latest AMD driver only, so that you have a 'clean installation'.

You can do this easily using 'DDU', found here - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Once removed, install the AMD driver once more, restart your system and try in Designer once again.

If this doesn't resolve the crashing, please check your Crash Reports folder and attach any new logs generated here.

Many thanks once again :)