You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't create master page

After having cmd+W delete my only master page (filed separately), I tried to create a new master page. Designer wasn't having it. First I tried expanding the Master Pages thing, which made the Pages thing disappear completely. Then, I clicked the Add Master button several times, but nothing happened.

1. Are you using the latest release version? yes
  2. Can you reproduce it? yes
    Does it happen for a new document? If not can you upload a document that shows the problem? Yes, if I create a new document, and press cmd+W, it deletes the one master page and then Add Master doesn't work.
  3. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  •    What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, iOS 12 etc)? Macos monterey 12.4
  •    Is hardware acceleration (in Preferences > Performance) ON or OFF ? (and have you tried the other setting?) Yes
  •    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen) See above
  •    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did). See above
  •    Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video. Attached.
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers. No
  •    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware) I don't know I am a new user.

• Staff

Hi @nikgervae,

I can confirm that Affinity Designer doesn't support master pages, and from your video I can see you are using Affinity Publisher - equally this is not a bug within the application, so I have moved this thread to the correct location in our forums.

In regards to the issue you're reporting, you don't appear to currently have a document open, meaning no master page can be created. CMD + W will close any open document, not delete pages - so in using this shortcut you have closed your new file.

Please use File > New or CMD + N to start a new document, where you can then add or delete master pages as required.

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I definitely had a document window open.

Oh. Wait. You're saying cmd+W closes the document—but it didn't close the document window! Er, tab. Because apparently this app on a windowing desktop can't do separate document windows.

*sigh*

Oh hang on, I can get separate windows but the toolbar is also separate instead of belonging to each window like on every other macos app. This is unworkable.

53 minutes ago, nikgervae said:

if I create a new document, and press cmd+W, it deletes the one master page and then Add Master doesn't work.

Command + W has absolutely nothing to do with Master pages. It closes the Document. The Document contains the pages, Master and Actual. The Document may even contain many Master pages in just one document. Add Master will only work in a document, one with page sizes set.

You can have many different Documents open in the one main consolidated window. Or you can have the consolidated window open with no documents in it. Command + N will bring up the New document dialog, make one repeat a few times you'll have several tabs with different documents.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I have to say though that the last several years Mac OS UI conventions have been turning into a heaping pile of excrement. (Is that bit of text text or a clickable item????)

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

It is a known issue that the 3 traffic light buttons in window title bars in various Affinity windows always + only can close document windows. If no document is opened then the application window gets closed.

1293143373_cmd-wclosesdocument1.thumb.jpg.95c20b0fc2ed4e828a9489c7e6d9d432.jpg

2081294002_cmd-wclosesdocument2.thumb.jpg.a2a77e9f32a9cb3ebe4d9457a6156497.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

10 hours ago, nikgervae said:

Oh hang on, I can get separate windows but the toolbar is also separate instead of belonging to each window like on every other macos app.

Having a single floating toolbar in separated Window mode compared to having multiple ones for each document window means there is more on screen space that can be used for document windows and/or for more Studio panels/panel groups. This is particularly useful on Macs with small screens. You can also toggle on & off the toolbar and/or context toolbar, useful if you want or need more screen space for documents & are working extensively with just one or a few tools.

Also, don't overlook the View > Studio Presets feature which allows you to create multiple studio panel layouts so you can have different layouts for different kinds of work & switch between them quickly.

BTW, in non-separated mode, as with quite a few other Mac apps including among others Apple's TextEdit & Preview, it is possible to close all the document windows without quitting the app, so that much is not unusual.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7