You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why doesn't colour overlay work?

I have a picture, made a selection, copy and pasted selection so I have it on a new layer. Went to FX to overlay a color. But the color doesn't overlay properly! It lightens the edges. Why? That's not reasonable behavior in any way!

Thinking it might be some feather nonsense with the selection, even though it shouldn't effect overlay, I try refining the selection with no feather no matt no nothing! And repeating. Same result. 

So I figure I have to fix it myself so I go to the erase brush, because that's the only straight erase tool that seems to exist. set it to 1px 100% opacity, flow and hardness. Surprise surprise it doesn't work! It only lightens 4(!) pixels to varying degree. What nonsense is this?

I just want to color a layer, why is this so difficult!!?

1 hour ago, Broc0re said:

I have a picture, made a selection, copy and pasted selection so I have it on a new layer. Went to FX to overlay a color. But the color doesn't overlay properly! It lightens the edges. Why? That's not reasonable behavior in any way!

Most likely you still have an active selection. Choose Select > Deselect.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Broc0re said:

I just want to color a layer, why is this so difficult!!?

Why not use a shape instead of copying and pasting and recolouring? 

Which application is this? Designer, Photo , or Publisher?

Is it an Image layer or a Pixel layer you are copying from?

If all you want to do is colour the layer then use the Fill tool to fill the selection with colour.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Most likely you still have an active selection. Choose Select > Deselect.

No, that didn't help.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Why not use a shape instead of copying and pasting and recolouring? 

Which application is this? Designer, Photo , or Publisher?

Is it an Image layer or a Pixel layer you are copying from?

If all you want to do is colour the layer then use the Fill tool to fill the selection with colour.

Photo, pixel layer. It worked perfectly two months ago. Exact same procedure. And with a color overlay I can change the color as I please. 

23 minutes ago, Broc0re said:

Photo, pixel layer. It worked perfectly two months ago. Exact same procedure. And with a color overlay I can change the color as I please. 

Check the opacity of the colour fx check the opacity of the new layer you made by pasting.

2124438020_ScreenShot2022-09-15at1_17_15PM.png.96b5892c68b8c5f91822c7242c435884.png

1091942954_ScreenShot2022-09-15at1_17_56PM.png.3556ea4fa61ec7f75e81833741ec83cd.png

I am at a loss. I would suggest posting the file here if you can.

Could we see a screenshot of the layers panel if you don't want to, or cannot, post the file. have the fx panel open as well as selecting the copy/pasted layer you are applying it to.

Simply works here out of the box.

1. open image

2. select portion - copy&paste - new Layer is generated, active and selection still alive

3. call Layer Effects panel - make checkmark on "Color Overlay" and click on the label to make it active

4. Choose color - adjust Transparency and/or Blendmode - done.

47 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Simply works here out of the box.

1. open image

2. select portion - copy&paste - new Layer is generated, active and selection still alive

3. call Layer Effects panel - make checkmark on "Color Overlay" and click on the label to make it active

4. Choose color - adjust Transparency and/or Blendmode - done.

That is literally what I did. 

11 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

You haven't enabled the "Color overlay" just hit the checkbox. Right now "Gaussian Blur" is active. Hit the label to activate the effect you want to use actually.

That doesn't change anything. Opacity is at 100% and color is black. Making it the active tab makes no difference!

4 minutes ago, Broc0re said:

That doesn't change anything. Opacity is at 100% and color is black. Making it the active tab makes no difference!

Does it look like this? Note the blue highlighting of the Colour Overlay on the left.

1143329705_ScreenShot2022-09-17at7_54_33AM.png.ada5c03245bba6e4878c11dd898f236c.png

29 minutes ago, Broc0re said:

Fine. Here's another video, where I show the tab: 

Try changing the colour to something other than black.

857252854_ScreenShot2022-09-17at9_31_52AM.png.f61c23f3e837a93532b6e6f25a2bc606.png

16 minutes ago, Broc0re said:

Same result

When doing/making the initial Selection, check the Antialias checkbox in it's control bar settings and retry ...

control-settings.jpg.abb064c462296d1cd5eed62a47334c0c.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 minutes ago, Broc0re said:

Where do you find the control-bar?

This is what I have:

You're using the Flood Select Tool. The screenshot from @v_kyr is while using the Freehand Selection Tool.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Really hard to tell for sure (what with Google/youtube's compression algorithms) but I think what you are seeing is the underlying image which was not captured by the selection of the colour.

When I tried this with a screenshot of your video, I got hard edges but the selection was not 100% between the road, so some of it showed, looking like it was a lighter edge.

670523233_ScreenShot2022-09-17at10_14_04AM.png.9442debbdf42e5a214ac2329a8e2940e.png

Best would be if you could post the map or a portion of it to the forums.

13 minutes ago, Broc0re said:

Yes, the flood tool is the tool I need to use, and have been able to use before. I take it the flood tool does not have those options then?

Not exactly, see the online help for that one instead ...

The Flood Select Tool enables you to select pixels of a similar color.

Pixels added to a selection are determined by the color of the pixel or adjacent pixels under the tool when you click or drag across the page, respectively. The dragging operation controls the selection tolerance, i.e. how much the selection will grow to encompass pixels of similar color values under the cursor.

Settings

The following settings can be adjusted from the context toolbar:

• Mode—select from New, Add, Subtract, and Intersect.
  • Source—the source determines the layer(s) from which the pixels are sampled. Select from the pop-up menu.
  • Tolerance—sets the range of pixels affected when a pixel is clicked. For lower tolerance settings, pixels must be very close in value to the clicked pixel. For higher tolerance settings, pixel color can vary widely from the clicked pixel.
  • Contiguous—when enabled, only selects a range of pixels within the same area. If disabled, similar pixel ranges will be selected even if they are separated and in different parts of the image.
  • Refine—click to display the Refine Selection dialog to access advanced selection settings.

About selection modes

The four modes available from the context toolbar affect how your selection develops.

• New—cancels all current selections and creates a new selection.
  • Add—adds areas to the current selection. If there is no selection in place, a new selection will be created.
  • Subtract—removes areas from the current selection.
  • Intersect—a new selection area is created from the overlap between the newly added selection area and the current selection.

... for the Flood selection tool (or Magic Wand how I would call that instead), you have to play around with it's Tolerance & Contiguous & Refine settings in order to come close to a wanted selection which then afterwards hopefully overdraws all related pixels!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2