You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF export for print has error message and will not export

I have produced a 40 Page A5 magazine and when I try to export for the professional printer to use it keeps coming up with an error message.  I am not sure what setting I may have not checked or checked in error but I desperately need to get this off to print.  I did not have a problem last issue when I exported so no idea what the difference is this time.  Have included shots of error and my settings in case someone can spot the problem.  I have watched the tutorial over and over and have not seen anything which may help.

Pdf export setting for print.jpg

Pdf export setting for print 2.jpg

Pdf export setting for print3.jpg

Export error message for pdf print.jpg

I would first try exporting to a different location, specifically one that is not managed by OneDrive.

If that doesn't help, there are often 2 diagnostic methods that can help figure out the problem:

1. You can try exporting the first half of the document (pages 1-20), then the second half (pages 21-40), and see if one of them works. If one works, and the other fails, you have isolated the problem to the failing part. You can then do a similar process there, exporting each half of the failing part, and use this "binary search" process to try to find if there's a page causing the issue. Then you can look at that page in detail.
    or
  2. You can generate a log of the PDF export process, and look for error messages at the end of the log. For that, you can use the instructions in the FAQ:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I would first try exporting to a different location, specifically one that is not managed by OneDrive.

This is probably the solution because OneDrive & Affinity have a history of not working well together. If you need to add the file to a OneDrive location for some reason, you can first save the exported file to a local location & then copy it to OneDrive, & optionally then delete the local copy. A PITA but I don't think there is any other reliable alternative.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just my two cents.... I use Affinity programs for Windows since they came out and I have always saved and opened my files to/from OneDrive , and I never had a problem at all.

I do that every day and it's been working perfectly for all those years. Apps are installed on drive C and OneDrive is on drive D. So I think there must be something else involved to get this error. 

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

1 hour ago, AlainP said:

Just my two cents.... I use Affinity programs for Windows since they came out and I have always saved and opened my files to/from OneDrive , and I never had a problem at all.

Under certain configurations OneDrive may move a file off of your local disk and replace it with a "stub" to save space. If (for one possibility) Affinity first creates the output file, then Opens it to write the data, it could happen that OneDrive has removed the file in between those two operations. If that happens it could trigger an error like this one.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, AlainP said:

I do that every day and it's been working perfectly for all those years.

Be that as it may, there have been multiple reports of problems caused by saving Affinity format files directly to a OneDrive location.

It is possible this has something to do with the speed or reliability of the internet connection to OneDrive servers, but regardless, if the error goes away if the file is saved to a different location then in this instance it does point to a reliability issue of some kind between Affinity & OneDrive.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I use OneDrive as an automatic backup for all my "data" files, not to save space on local discs. So there is a setting that should be set to "off" to make sure you don't have a "ghost file" on your drive...

od.jpg

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I am new to Affinity having to replace an older version of Photoshop and I've never  had this problem with Exporting PDF's. In Affinity I was only able to export one photo to PDF. The next photo was unable to be saved as a PDF.  Like others who had the same issue I feel this is a weakness of Affinity. Since I need the PDF's for a job, I'm going to have to find someone who has a version of Photoshop or buy the latest version to complete my job.

33 minutes ago, EZWill said:

In Affinity I was only able to export one photo to PDF. The next photo was unable to be saved as a PDF. 

What specifically happened when you tried to export the file to PDF? Did you get an error message, & if so what was it, or if no error message then what happened?

Affinity Photo