You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I attempt to cut out or make a copy of a selection from a pixel layer, the selection is ignored and the entire layer gets copied/cut. The problem persists with all selection tools and with both keyboard shortcuts (ctrl+x, ctrl+c, ctrl+v) and clicking on the "Cut"/"Copy" and "Paste" options from the File menu. The problem is present in Photo as well as in Designer's pixel persona. The only workaround is to copy the layer, make the selection, invert the selection and erase the parts that are not needed. Very frustrating. Is there any way to fix this?

Edited by veles
typo

Check the Layers panel and make sure the layer says (Pixel). It sounds like you probably have an (Image) layer instead, and you'll need to Rasterize it before you can work on the individual pixels.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Das Bild darf nicht Geschützt sein ( Bild Schutz aufheben ), das Bild in der Ebene anwählen / Auswahlrahmen Rechteck in der Werkzeugleiste auswählen / die Auswahl treffen / Strg-C / nun kann die Auswahl verschoben oder gelöscht werden.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Check the Layers panel and make sure the layer says (Pixel). It sounds like you probably have an (Image) layer instead, and you'll need to Rasterize it before you can work on the individual pixels.

That was the problem. Thank you very much.  I apologize if this sounds stupid, but what's the difference? I had no idea there was such thing as an image layer. I just assumed the layer was automatically named that way.

1 minute ago, veles said:

I apologize if this sounds stupid, but what's the difference? I had no idea there was such thing as an image layer. I just assumed the layer was automatically named that way.

Completely valid question. Only took me a year (or more) to figure it out. It is a layer with an 'image' in it. Usually the 'image' is a PNG or JPEG or TIFF, which are pixel formats so you would expect them to be capable of having pixel selections cut and or copied. The pixel selection is set to the document's pixel grid (DPI/PPI) and the "image's" Pixels may not line up to that. All the pixels in the Image Layer are kept until export or rasterization of the layer. This means you can change the size without much problem. 

Neat trick is you can colour an Image layer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, veles said:

I apologize if this sounds stupid, but what's the difference? I had no idea there was such thing as an image layer.

From the Image layers help topic there is (among other things) this:

Image layers retain all of the data from the original image, which remains intact when the document is exported.

An image layer has a container which retains the placed image's original color space, resolution and physical dimensions (when placed at native resolution).

Not mentioned in that topic, when an Image layer is selected with the Move Tool, the Context toolbar has a drop-down menu option that allows you to adjust the DPI & Scale numerically to whatever you want (including different values for the x & y directions), & a button to reset the image to its original size. There is also a "Replace Image" button there.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7