You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Original Photo Composites

smadell

I’ve never posted my own photos on the forum, but I thought I’d go out on a limb and do that today. The three photos below are all composites that I created for our local photo club. Every month, there is a “theme” and members submit photos which are compiled into a slide show. I’ve taken those opportunities to have fun, creating things that are sometimes comical and usually just imagined.

I’ve scaled them down considerably (for posting online) and I’ve also put a screenshot of the Layers panel next to each, so that the structure of the composite can be examined. Please enjoy them, and let me know what you think! (Be kind…)

The first one is called “Grand Finale” and was created for the theme Illuminate. The performer is my wife (facing away from the camera, since she hates being photographed!). The rest of the photo is a series of images pulled from online sites like Unsplash.

997672399_GrandFinale.thumb.jpg.5cadca821f448bf1adf82cefa8714346.jpg

The second photo is called “Tower of Babble” – a not so subtle commentary on the state of TV News – and was made for the club theme Building. The background is a photo of an active volcano (Kilauea) on the island of Hawaii, but the TV’s and the screens were all sourced from the web.

388355634_TowerofBabble.thumb.jpg.76cd44cc86c16056b7b1f4cccdcc4668.jpg

Last, but hopefully not least, is an homage to Steven Spielberg’s remake of West Side Story. There is a wonderful shot of the Jets and the Sharks facing off at the rumble about halfway through the movie. This composite was done for the club’s theme In the Kitchen and imagines a rumble between the forks and the spoons. All the images in the composite were shot in my kitchen, and no online images were used. It is titled “When You’re a Fork, You’re a Fork All the Way.”

546619697_WhenYoureaForkYoureaForkAlltheWay.thumb.jpg.c2317e2bde5221370b59a91df0b0df78.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

2 minutes ago, smadell said:

Please enjoy them, and let me know what you think!

Wonderful work, Seth! I sense that you put a lot of effort into those pieces, but you had a lot of fun, too.

5 minutes ago, smadell said:

(Be kind…)

As if you needed to say that!! :o

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you, @Alfred. They all took quite a lot of work, but they were also loads of fun. The best compliment I can get from them is when the photo club (hopefully) erupts in laughter. That's the goal!

And, yes, the "Be kind…" comment was mostly unnecessary (although there are rare, but notable, trolls even here). Mostly, that comment reflects a bit of trepidation about posting my own artwork for the first time. In my "real life," prior to retirement, I was not an artist in any sense, so I am not used to representing myself as one! It's been a bit of a leap of faith.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17