You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Picture looks fine in Publisher, but distorted when exported as PDF.

• Staff

Not something I'm seeing when I export your file out to PDF, which previewer are you using and on which OS? Also when exporting to PDF which preset are you selecting and are you changing any of the options?

Screenshot 2022-05-09 at 11.20.25.png

3 hours ago, Lee D said:

Not something I'm seeing when I export your file out to PDF, which previewer are you using and on which OS? Also when exporting to PDF which preset are you selecting and are you changing any of the options?

MacOs Preview.  Preset is PDF for print.  Below are the settings for that. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 8.46.53 AM.png

3 hours ago, AntiqueFlaneur said:

MacOs Preview.  Preset is PDF for print.  Below are the settings for that. 

FWIW, I am using the Mac Preview app & the same export settings & like @Lee D I do not see the discolored line in the PDF.

I run macOS Catalina. If you are using another macOS version please tell us what it is because that may have something to do with it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, I am using the Mac Preview app & the same export settings & like @Lee D I do not see the discolored line in the PDF.

I run macOS Catalina. If you are using another macOS version please tell us what it is because that may have something to do with it.

I use MacOs Monterey 12.3.1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that I really have a solution, but I remember that I had similar problems some years ago with images I downloaded from the web. Sometimes the stripes were even pure white as if the download was somehow interrupted, sometimes it seemed that only single channels were affected, like possibly in your case, sometimes there were no problems at all. I repeated the download in such cases, but as far as I remember, I couldn't always solve this problem. Don't even know why it happened. But I'm on Windows anyway.

1 hour ago, AntiqueFlaneur said:
On 5/11/2022 at 2:36 AM, AntiqueFlaneur said:

Anyone else have suggestions for me? I haven't been able to figure this image distortion problem. 

One last bump before I give up. 

Are you still able to reproduce the issue with a new export?    (Like others I don't get the issue – but I also don't have the linked .aphoto)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

40 minutes ago, AntiqueFlaneur said:

It doesn't seem to put the line there when I export from Affinity Photo directly as a jpg or PDF. 

Also with your .aphoto I still don't get the issue of a lighter stripe in the lower quarter of the image as shown in your initial screenshot. Again I wonder, do you still get it if you export once more from .afpub?

FOFCPictureLine_ot.pdf

14 hours ago, thomaso said:

Also with your .aphoto I still don't get the issue of a lighter stripe in the lower quarter of the image as shown in your initial screenshot. Again I wonder, do you still get it if you export once more from .afpub?

FOFCPictureLine_ot.pdf 1.62 MB · 0 downloads

Yes, it still has the line when exported from publisher

14 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I can see one oddity. The image in APub does not match that in APhoto - you have flipped it horizontally as shown with the minus placed size. But I cannot reproduce the bar shown in the screenshot of your PDF. I'm using Catalina. 

Can you try to export the file again as @thomaso has suggested. If you still get the bar, can you try flipping the picture (you will need to redo the wrap setting), then try again. Just humour me. It's covering one aspect which, while it should not affect the output, is different.

image.png.71587891ab68ea956bb56f4cf76198c0.png

Hu! I think you were right. That did seem to fix it. Thank you! Could you explain how you brought up that window with the minus sign that tipped you off?

1 hour ago, AntiqueFlaneur said:

That did seem to fix it.

Hm. However it does not explain why only this issue occurred only in your export of this layout.

One reason could be that we did not have exactly the same image resource. When I update in your .afpub the missing .aphoto the layout doesn't change – but the resource window does: it shows a different file size (13 vs. 10 MB) and shows the preview flipped + as a clipped detail. That let me assume there have been several files (or states) of this resource placed in your .afpub.

I doubt that flipping did cause the issue, may be it was just apparently fixing it because it forced APub to 'touch' and 'update' the resource in your .afpub?

The missing situation (A) … and after updating the missing image (B):

167849187_fig40-AvsB.jpg.97675ddb4d6c630b6f2efbae7f095ad8.jpg

1755054570_fig40-A.thumb.jpg.0c4679ba7fdf7c8402f322898524b9ab.jpg

266824270_fig40-B.thumb.jpg.d7cb9f7769e99762670b68b087ad72aa.jpg

• 1 year later...

April 6, 2024

I am running into the same problem, pictures look fine in the Affinity file, but when I export to PDF, become distorted by random colored bars and blocks of color. What is interesting is that this did not happen when the file was fresher. I have reworked editing it many times in infinity,  and this just started happening several days ago. My PDF settings are the same as those of the previous person asking about this question. What can I do to get this manuscript and photos finally published! I am getting very frustrated. 

Thank you in advance for any help,

Margaret