You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange layer visibility bug when using symbols

Hi everyone, I'm linking artboards with symbols because I need to work on repeating pattern designs (is there a better way to do this?) and it seems to have uncovered a bug.

When I use vector and shape layers on the artboard the symbols feature works fine and the layers are duplicated onto the other artboards, but when I use a pixel layer it is not visible, even when it is the top layer within the artboard. Please see the example doc and pixel layer as an example.

The only way to make the pixel layer visible is to take it out of the artboard layer and place it directly at the top of the document.

Any thoughts on how I can make repeating pattern designs in a smarter way than this, and any thoughts on weather or not this is a bug and what I can do about it?

Help much appreciated,

James

example 2.PNG

example 1.PNG

why do you use artboards within Photo?
Artboards are a Deisgner layer type, and Photo is not fully able to modify them.

If you have Designer, symbols (not linked layers) would be a preferred option to create tiles with mirrored / repeated objects.

Based on the screenshots only it is difficult to describe. All artboards share the same name, we can‘t see their position on canvas.
Artboards actually clip child objects, so anything outside the edges of that artboard gets invisible. So this might cause the issue you are seeing.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

35 minutes ago, JamesF91 said:

I'm linking artboards with symbols

Please confirm which application you're using. As @NotMyFault mentioned above, using Artboards with Photo is rare, and you've posted this in a Photo forum.

Also, in your screenshot, I do not see any indication in the Layers panel that you're using Symbols. You do seem to have Linked layers, though, which I suppose indicates that Photo is somewhere in your workflow. I agree that Designer and Symbols may be better.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi,

Thank you for your comments.

I switch beteen Designer and Photo because I need to use tools from both in my workflow.

The document was originally made in Designer and then bought into Photo (the screenshot is in photo, hence posting in this section of the forum).

The document was made by making the whole artboard a symbol, so that the artboard (and symbols of that artboard) would all look idential and have the same layers within them. I don't like doing it this way, I just don't know of any better way of making these repeat patterns in Affinity products.

I can't make the artboards different names, when I rename one they are all renamed together.

All of my layers are neatly inside of the artboard, I have the layer that should be visible selected in my screenshot so you can see the boudary box.

I hope that helps calrify a few things.

Thanks for taking a look,

James

I would start moving the child elements into a symbol, not containing any artboard.

If you need to clip the layers to a shape, use a regular rectangular shape, not an artboard. 

Instead of using a bitmap layer directly, try to create a suitable vector shape, and apply the bitmap layer as fill (after exporting, or using an embedded file). These objects will then behave as vector objects and hopefully solve the visibility issue.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thanks for the suggestion @NotMyFault but some of my raster assets are pretty complex oil painting elements with transparency and unusal shapes and I have a lot of them! I'm not really getting anywhere with this project in Affinity, regrettably I think it's time for me to go back to my Adobe subscription.

Best regards,

James

No problem.

If you are an expert on Adobe products the switch could be more difficult, as some „muscle memory“ won’t work on Affinity.

I’m sure it will be possible to find a good workflow for your use case in Affinity, but this might be too much effort.

I hope your decision is not based on my lack of understanding and resulting suboptimal advise.

It is difficult to understand what you actually wanted to achieve based on the description of a (failed) attempt.

if you are able to upload example files of the intended result (parts used for tiles, final tiles, and how that tiles will be used to create something) the forum user might show a better way.

I was focussed on vector elements, but as you are using bitmap objects we might use totally different methods (e.g. fill layers). Unusual shapes or many should not automatically cause complexity or hurdles.

Hi @NotMyFault - I've used Affinity for over four years and think I understand it pretty well but I've never found a solution for easily making reapeating pattern designs. If you know of a way I can do this please share it with me. Specifically I'd like to make seamless tiling patterns for printing fabric for dresses, etc.

In Adobe Illustrator I use this tool: 

• Staff
On 4/29/2022 at 4:22 PM, JamesF91 said:

I've never found a solution for easily making reapeating pattern designs. If you know of a way I can do this please share it with me.

Hi @JamesF91

I have attached some links below to tutorials on creating repeating patterns in Affinity Photo and Designer, I hope these will be of some help to you. 
https://designbundles.net/design-school/how-to-make-a-seamless-pattern-in-affinity-designer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm-tk5x9Dn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CktZ8gb1NiM

I am currently Out of Office, please tag @Affinity Info Bot in your replies for another member of QA to see. 

How to format a bug report | List of V2 FAQ's | Affinity Photo (V2) Tutorials | Affinity Designer (V2) Tutorials | Affinity Publisher (V2) Tutorials