You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

All brushes have hard edges and low opacity centres. Unsure how to change?

Hi, @Tim Proctorand welcome to the forums.

Click on the image.png.b2d1f91b398d70642cd031a39b5223de.png to show more options and untick "Wet edges"

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Also check the blend mode of the brush.

803949960_Screenshot2022-04-24at08_31_28.png.2141a053a3f2a51dbd41bd96c2418e61.png

Resetting it to Normal may help.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

And also check the "Hardness": "100%" means "hard edge".

But hard edges and low opacity centers normally are caused by "Wet Edges". I'm not sure if it is the way it should be, but I noticed that after I worked with a brush that has wet edges as standard setting, also other brushes start with wet edges, even if they don't have this as standard setting. Possibly a bug, but I'm not sure.

2 hours ago, iconoclast said:

but I noticed that after I worked with a brush that has wet edges as standard setting, also other brushes start with wet edges, even if they don't have this as standard setting. Possibly a bug

Probably not a bug.

Brushes have 3 settings for Wet Edges (and some other settings). Specifically for Wet Edges, a brush designer can specify:

1. Set Wet Edges off.
  2. Set Wet Edges on.
  3. Leave Wet Edges as it was last set, by another brush or by the user.

#3 often surprises users, but it is the brush designer's choice.

There is also a "brush sharing" setting in the Assistant Manager that can be set to allow different Brush-based tools to share some settings, and Wet Edges is one of them. That lets settings be shared when you switch from, say, the Brush Tool to the Erase Brush Tool, and some others. You can set that to do "smart" sharing of the settings, full sharing, or no sharing, and sometimes that will help clear up issues related to Wet Edges.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Probably not a bug.

Brushes have 3 settings for Wet Edges (and some other settings). Specifically for Wet Edges, a brush designer can specify:

1. Set Wet Edges off.
  2. Set Wet Edges on.
  3. Leave Wet Edges as it was last set, by another brush or by the user.

#3 often surprises users, but it is the brush designer's choice.

There is also a "brush sharing" setting in the Assistant Manager that can be set to allow different Brush-based tools to share some settings, and Wet Edges is one of them. That lets settings be shared when you switch from, say, the Brush Tool to the Erase Brush Tool, and some others. You can set that to do "smart" sharing of the settings, full sharing, or no sharing, and sometimes that will help clear up issues related to Wet Edges.

Hi Walt!

Yes, I saw those three options. But the difference between 1. and 3. wasn't clear to me. So as far as I understand, if you change the brush to one where 1. is activated in the brush editor, the wet edges setting (or not) of the brush you used before will be inherited. On first start the brush will have no wet edges. If you choose a brush with 3. activated, the wet edges will always be deactivated for that certain brush, unless you activate it actively. That makes sense. And also this options in the Assistent Manager... Thanks for your explanations! Very helpfull.

3 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

So as far as I understand, if you change the brush to one where 1. is activated in the brush editor, the wet edges setting (or not) of the brush you used before will be inherited.

No. If you change to a brush which sets Wet Edges off, they are off. What you described there is setting 3, "don't set Wet Edges".

4 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

On first start the brush will have no wet edges.

Yes, because the setting is "off".

5 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

If you choose a brush with 3. activated, the wet edges will always be deactivated for that certain brush, unless you activate it actively.

No. Setting 3 will not touch the Wet Edges setting at all. If it was on when you chose the brush, it will remain on. If it was off when you chose the brush, it will remain off.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

19 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

On first start the brush will have no wet edges

The last brush used will be remembered whenever you restart APhoto

So, it depends on whether that brush had specifically set wet edges on or off 

and/or if you had changed the wet edges setting manually

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

32 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No. If you change to a brush which sets Wet Edges off, they are off. What you described there is setting 3, "don't set Wet Edges".

Hm, 1. is the standard setting ("Keine nassen Kanten festlegen" in german, 3. is "Nasse Kanten deaktivieren"). I didn't change these settings until today, but it often happened that brushes, even my own ones (that used the standard setting), kept the wet edges of the brushes I used before. So if I change from a brush with wet edges to a brush with 1. activated, the wet edges should be deactivated? In my case it doesn't. But I will keep an eye on it in the future. Maybe I'm somehow wrong.

11 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Maybe I'm somehow wrong

No, probably I've confused you. My 1-3 were not meant to show the actual order of the settings you see in Affinity Photo, just the functions that are available. Here's the actual settings from the brush-editing dialog:

image.png.af5113fef4898cba51b54652bfd66cfc.png

So, the actual order is: Don't set, turn on, and turn off (basically the reverse order from my list above). Sorry.

-- Walt
PC:

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No, probably I've confused you. My 1-3 were not meant to show the actual order of the settings you see in Affinity Photo, just the functions that are available. Here's the actual settings from the brush-editing dialog:

image.png.af5113fef4898cba51b54652bfd66cfc.png

So, the actual order is: Don't set, turn on, and turn off (basically the reverse order from my list above). Sorry.

No problem. I tested it a minute ago and in fact, if I change from a brush with wet edges on to a brush with "Don't set wet edges" (Keine nassen Kanten festlegen) on, the wet edges remain. "Set wet edges off" (Nasse Kanten deaktivieren) deactivates the edges. So no doubt about it, also the german designations of this functions are correct.

Thanks again, you helped me understand. Will help me in the future.