You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I make a designated area on an artboard where design elements CAN NOT be placed?

Hello!

I want to make A4 size artboards, where a designated space, say, 10mm on the right edge and bottom edge of the page can NOT hold design elements, and therefore will print and export BLANK.

So if I place a design element over multiple boards, the element will split up between all printable areas, without entering the blank space in between. 

I have played around with margin and bleed unsuccessfully.

I will attach a photo below, where I have tried to do such unsuccessfully.

So you can understand, I want the A4 pages to be printed, and glued or cellotaped together to create a larger page size.

I have AF Designer and Publisher, but I am speaking primarily in Designer.  Happy to try in publisher if anyone knows a way to make this work.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 9.05.25 PM.png

14 minutes ago, thesewinglady said:

I want to make A4 size artboards, where a designated space, say, 10mm on the right edge and bottom edge of the page can NOT hold design elements, and therefore will print and export BLANK.

Easiest way would be to place white rectangle as the first layer of each artboard and lock them. Maybe someone has a better idea?

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

34 minutes ago, thesewinglady said:

So you can understand, I want the A4 pages to be printed, and glued or cellotaped together to create a larger page size.

Why not simply create a document with the intended final dimensions and use your printer driver’s ‘Tile/Tiling’ option to create a suitable set of overlapping A4 sheets? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Why not simply create a document with the intended final dimensions and use your printer driver’s ‘Tile/Tiling’ option to create a suitable set of overlapping A4 sheets?

Because the Affinities lack crop marks for the tiles (not the whole document). Imagine a document with large white areas and now good luck stitching them together. ;)

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

2 hours ago, thesewinglady said:

I want the A4 pages to be printed, and glued or cellotaped together to create a larger page size.

1: Print the pages with bleed, so that there is an overlap. Try to keep them in order, it helps to arrange them correctly!
2: Arrange the sheets, face up, match them up (if there are a lot you can do this in sections,) then use low tack tape to join them together. Be careful to make sure the whole thing lies flat!
3: Turn it over carefully, so that it doesn't come apart (i.e. so that it is now face down). Use a steel rule/straight edge and a scalpel or sharp craft knife to cut through both layers of paper, being careful to cut where the image will meet up, not where there is blank paper. Also be careful not to let the pages slip apart.
4: Use normal (permanent) tape (on the back) to hold the pages together.
5: Remove the remnants of the low tack tape from the front (a scalpel can help to lift a corner of the tape, if necessary).

You should now have a perfectly joined plan/map/whatever!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

55 minutes ago, joe_l said:

Because the Affinities lack crop marks for the tiles (not the whole document). Imagine a document with large white areas and now good luck stitching them together. ;)

If the tiles are white around the edges, precise alignment shouldn’t matter for this. That’s why I specifically mentioned overlapping (which gives you something to line up).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)