You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question about Floating Images

System: ♦ i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 8.00 GB ram, Windows 10 home (64-bit)

I'm completely new to Affinity and looking to use it for its new Astrophotography Options.

wondering if there is a way to permanently set the application to (I don't know the specific term), have images floating freely, rather than docked. adiitionally, can the "windowed" image be set to a fixed window size?

Is it possible to have these set as defaults at startup, rather than having to manually do this every time an image is loaded?

Welcome to the forums @brenski,

There is a way, using Presets to have the UI as you want it to be when you launch AP each time.

1. Arrange your UI, float what you need to, or all, and arrange them as you want them to appear.
  2. Go to View>Studio Presets. Add Preset This will be the UI layout you just set up.
  3. You will be prompted to Name the Preset.
  4. Once done it will continue to use this, until you change to another Preset, which you will have to create, or back to the default.

Customizing Workspace, (AP online help)

The windowed image can not be set to a fixed window size.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

10 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

here is a way, using Presets to have the UI as you want it to be when you launch AP each time.

I think that @brenski is referring to document windows (e.g.,  Window > Float...) not to the arrangement of the studio panels.

And I think that the answer to all their questions, in that context, is "no".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

yes, my question is about Window > Float and if this can be set as a default. It's a pity that - despite (online) requests for this for quite some time, Affinity has never been updated to allow for this. It's one of the few "competition killers" that Photoshop has over Affinity. With a nice UWide monitor, it's an essential to be able to have this as a default. Having to select Window > Float each and every session is a royal PITA, and I suspect, one of the reasons why folk don't make the leap to Affinity.

For me now, without this function, I will probably only be using Affinity for its astro-stacking function - and even then only if it does a better job than Deep Sky Stacker.

Perhaps in future I'll do well to research what an app can't do, before commiting to buy. 

2 hours ago, brenski said:

wondering if there is a way to permanently set the application to (I don't know the specific term), have images floating freely

Edit > Preferences > General

and tick "Documents open in new floating window"

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
38 minutes ago, brenski said:

is there any way to set the window size & position as a default?

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @brenski :)

Unfortunately this isn't an available option in Affinity currently, my apologies!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!