You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Attempting to join multiple curves together into single curve using boolean operations

3 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

... otherwise I always think you are asking me again something I've already answered before IMO clearly!

It is not a safe assumption that I am asking anything specifically from you, even if it follows some comment of yours I have quoted strictly for context. Please do not do that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

28 minutes ago, R C-R said:

...even if it follows some comment of yours I have quoted strictly for context.

As said, if you ask a direct question to something you quoted by my comments/explanations, for strictly context as you say, that doesn't look like to be meant for the OP to me then. Especially all this here ...

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

AFAI understood it, the OP prefers to have just one (curves) layer here instead of ~14 (curve) layers.

.... As you understand it, a "(Curves)" layer is not a single curve is it?

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Look at what the centerline tracing app generates and returns as SVG code here, that should answer your question ...

First of all, I don't know what tracing app you used, so I have no idea how to examine what it returns as SVG code.

But more to the point, how could any form of centerline tracing make everything in the OP's design into a single curve path? There is no way I can see to do that -- even if the path doubles back along itself to simulate 't' joins, the cockpit windows can never be a part of the same path as the plane body. 

It is as I think @JimmyJack said that the OP is (or was) not aware that a vector icon does not need to be all one continuous path.

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

You are just repeating what I've already said and concluded to you before here ...

All I am trying to do is make it clear to the OP that there is no way to make that design into a single curve (just like the topic title says), nor is there any need to do so.

I am not sure your previous comments about centerline tracing, curves layers, SVG exports, etc. did that.

... so if all that is directed to the OP and context as you say (which for me it isn't in that form), then in future you express that better in your words (instead of quoting me) and direct that to him (the OP) and so not to me here with further questions!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

As said, if you ask a direct question to something you quoted by my comments/explanations, for strictly context as you say, that doesn't look like to be meant for the OP to me then.

Nevertheless, the only reason I asked if, as you understand it, a "(Curves)" layer is a single curve was to clarify to the OP that it would not be a single curve.

Sorry if it looked like something else to you, but there is not much I can do about it now other than to restate once again that was for the OP's benefit.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

In summary lphilb92 requires a vector line drawing, with no fill and a transparent background, it would preferably be a single curve on a single layer not multiple curves on a single layer that Affinity calls a "Curves Layer" (basically the collection of curve layers is just hidden) probably to simplify the layer stack but is no different from a "Layer Layer" having a single curve is not possible using stroked curves, and, as @JimmyJack has already asked why would that be necessary. I can't imagine a reason to edit these designs other than change fill colour of the expanded curves or change the colour of the stroke that can be edited en masse using a merged curves layer or a layer layer.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

8 hours ago, firstdefence said:

... it would preferably be a single curve on a single layer not multiple curves on a single layer ...

I think we have all agreed that for a design like the airplane logo in the first post, that is not possible, right?

Affinity Photo 

Hi all,

To start out: my bad if I sounded very much like a noob with the terminology and wasn't clear initially, I'm still getting accustomed to using Affinity Designer and all 😅.

Thanks for all the discourse, I read through all your comments and I think @JimmyJack has the best solution to go forward, which is simply to use the Layers > Geometry > Combine Curves option, and then to use the Break Curve option for intersecting curves and use Combine Curves in succession until I get the desired end result. 

@v_kyr Thanks for suggesting the the online vectorizer & tracer tools; I don't think I'll use them for this project though but I'll use it for others I have planned.

16 hours ago, lphilb92 said:

Thanks for all the discourse, I read through all your comments and I think @JimmyJack has the best solution to go forward, which is simply to use the Layers > Geometry > Combine Curves option, and then to use the Break Curve option for intersecting curves and use Combine Curves in succession until I get the desired end result. 

To be fair @G13RL was first to market with that advice.

And for clarity's sake, I'm not advocating using Break Curve. Skip that step entirely and directly delete the unwanted segments 🍺