You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Compatibility between IPad and windows version

The Affinity apps use a single file format, so it should be possible to open any Affinity file in any Affinity app on any supported platform as long as the app last used to save the document is the same version or older.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

36 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The Affinity apps use a single file format, so it should be possible to open any Affinity file in any Affinity app on any supported platform as long as the app last used to save the document is the same version or older.

Thank you Alfred! I knew there was compatibility between programs on the same platform. I also use this often. But I didn’t find any indication that this works between platforms. And without that, I don’t want to invest in an iPad.

2 hours ago, gyalogosdesign said:

. And without that, I don’t want to invest in an iPad.

If you do invest in an iPad, I strongly suggest you get an Apple Pencil to go with it. It is expensive compared to the competition but it works much better.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for the answers guys! I use the Affinity package as a hobby and now I want to improve. 1. I will improve my desktop computer and become more productive. 2. I buy a laptop and become more mobile. 3. I buy an iPad with an Apple Pencil to be more mobile and develop new skills. In my heart, I would choose the third solution. But even though I look at lots and lots of tutorials, I really haven’t seen an example of a workflow that uses a mixed platform. I’ve seen the Affinity website, but before making such an investment, I’m calmer if I can decide based on real experience. Thanks for the answers so I will make it easier to decide!

4 hours ago, gyalogosdesign said:

But even though I look at lots and lots of tutorials, I really haven’t seen an example of a workflow that uses a mixed platform.

It may or may not be of interest to you but Affinity supports the Apple "Sidecar" feature that allows using a Mac & an iPad together.

More about this at https://affinityspotlight.com/article/working-with-affinity-apps-through-sidecar/

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It may or may not be of interest to you

The OP is currently a Windows user, so the Apple “Sidecar” feature is probably of limited interest.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I use Photo and Designer apps on Windows and on my two iPads and never had a problem. I use iCloud to sync files and it works very well. 

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

The OP is currently a Windows user, so the Apple “Sidecar” feature is probably of limited interest.

True, but buying a laptop was also mentioned so it is not out of the question that it might be one of the extremely powerful Apple silicon ones. Of course, that would mean also buying Mac licenses for the Affinity apps, so there is nothing inexpensive about that option.

Affinity Photo