You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers disappear when I zoom in.

HuwR

I’m an illustrator. I have a document made up of whole range of cartoon characters their heads and bodies on separate layers. Mac OS.

At 50% all can be seen on screen. Anything at a greater zoom (51%+) three character bod layers disappear. Zoom out they return.

If you duplicate they behave in the same way. 

if you try to print a hard copy the 3 layers are absent.

If you export to JPEG/PSD/PDF etc they behave in the same way.

Transferred to an iPad (airdrop) same problems. Any ideas?

Hi MEB

Thanks for getting back to me. I have attached the file - no need for privacy. A friend took a look at the file and felt that somehow some sort of mask is having an effect. One neither of us can detect.

The closer you zoom-in the more elements disappear - characters at front of car disappear. Zoom out they re-appear. The same layers disappear on printing too. 

I have messed around with RGB and CMYK and Greyscale imported images in creating the work. I have also pasted images from the web as a guide to create caricatures - then deleted them.

A3 in size. 

Best of luck - any suggestions welcomed.

Huw

A3 PJ.afphoto

Edited by HuwR
Thought an @ was needed.

I can open your file, though it took longer to open than I was expecting…?
And right from opening, the three “body” layers in question are empty, no content.
Screenshot of the Layers; Non and Body Non.
So why you can see content in the effected layers at different zoom levels is a bit of a mystery to me?
Do you still see in your Layers panel the correct thumbnails?

1914050542_Screenshot2022-02-16at15_27_33.png.405241704aea5e0604c4ce9081ca2d72.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

You have some weird stuff going on with the Alpha channels on some layers. Makes me wonder where these layers came from.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Old Bruce

My friend - more savvy than I am -  took a look and he noted something  similar.

All the layers were created by me or by cutting and pasting images from the web which I used as a guide to create caricatures. They were binned once I had no further use for them. e.g. I borrowed a photo of Gareth Bale to create the caricature on another layer using drawing tools. Then the photo of Bale was binned.

I also did the same to "steal" patterns for the blue dress and for the sea texture. These layers were kept in their modified form.

I have very limited understanding of channels and masking - sorry.

Thanks for taking a look,

Huw

It is a clear rendering bug to me.

e.g. Disabled all layers except PJ.

Content disappears when zoomed between 63 and 100%.

effect depends on settings and tools used.

seems to be a combination of several parameters (e.g. cmyk, 3.2 degree rotated, … ) to trigger issue.

When you rotate to 0, issue is gone.

you can clearly see that is a rendering bug in the video when comparing the navigator thumbnail vs. layer thumbnail vs. canvas rendering. 

alpha is totally ok, except one minor issue totally unrelated to the rendering bug:

i assume you painted the edge lines first (in black) and then used a selection and the fill tool to fill the areas inside the edges. Unfortunately, the partially transparent pixels where not fully selected, and remained partially transparent (visible at the green filled mountain line). You can avoid this issue by tweaking the selection parameters (99% tolerance, but keep continuous checked)

0A7E6D29-A906-4A7A-803A-921F30D54892.thumb.png.5ae6e4fa49a55606c5eb9dfeed5efd5f.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.