You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

why can't I drag jpg files into affinity publisher assets when on Windows 10?

Publisher comes with no default Assets so you need to create a category first

But even then, dragging has to land on the correct spot (left-hand side) in the assets panel for it to work 100% of the time

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Works OK for me with JPGs 

A full screen video of how you are doing/trying it may help

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 hours ago, John Kay said:

I have already created a category but there's no way I can drag a jpg file into assets it just lands further over in the workspace.

Is the Asset category open (disclosure triangle pointing down) when you try? Are there any other assets in the category you created?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, John Kay said:

I have already created a category but there's no way I can drag a jpg file into assets it just lands further over in the workspace

It works fine for me. However, I need to move the mouse pointer just below the subcategory name for the first Asset that I drag from the page to the Assets panel. There will be a faint blue highlight box around the subcategory when you're properly positioned for the asset to be dropped into the panel.

image.png.8f0172c4f567c8409f5d3cd1652c3736.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, John Kay said:

those points should be available to the Help menu.

Agreed. There doesn't even seem to be any mention of dragging anything into the Assts panel that can find.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Agreed. There doesn't even seem to be any mention of dragging anything into the Assts panel that can find.

In Photo Help (haven't checked other applications), https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/pages/SymbolsAssets/assets.html

Panel Preferences To create an asset:

1. Select one or more objects or groups on the page or via the Layers panel.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • Drag the selection into the Assets panel (the cursor will change to show a plus icon) and release when you see a vertical insertion point.
    • On the Assets panel, click a subcategory's options menu and select Add from Selection.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In Photo Help (haven't checked other applications)

Oh, yes you have! ;)

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

https:⁠//affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/pages/SymbolsAssets/assets.html

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Panel Preferences To create an asset:

1. Select one or more objects or groups on the page or via the Layers panel.

Note that it says "on the page or via the Layers panel." As I interpret it, that is not the same as dragging a jpeg file (or any other supported file type) from outside the app into the Assets panel. The help pages do not seem to mention that at all, or have I missed that?

Affinity Photo 

14 hours ago, Alfred said:

Oh, yes you have! ;)

Hmm. I was sure if clicked on Photo in my Affinity Help browser tab.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Note that it says "on the page or via the Layers panel." As I interpret it, that is not the same as dragging a jpeg file (or any other supported file type) from outside the app into the Assets panel. The help pages do not seem to mention that at all, or have I missed that?

But are we talking about dragging from outside the application?

I interpreted the OP's question as regretting to Placing a Jpg then dragging within the application.

-- Walt
PC:

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I interpreted the OP's question as regretting to Placing a Jpg then dragging within the application.

The title mentions dragging jpg files. When I place jpg files into AP, the result is an image layer. It is no longer a file, so I interpreted the question as asking about dragging JPGs from outside the app directly into the Assets panel.

Affinity Photo