You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity designer files with Adobe InDesign

Since "Designer" is the approximate of "Illustrator," I figured I could use these files in Adobe InDesign. Although I have no problems with Affinity Photo files, if I take the extra step of exporting them as jpg or tiff, Affinity Designer doesn't seem to import into InDesign as well.

Any suggestons? (Aside from get rid of Adobe) Hopefully I'll be completing the switch to Affinity soon, but I'm using InDesign temporarily.

Not sure what you are wanting to get into InDesign but you could also try exporting files, try PDF as well as JPEG or TIFF.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If you Export from Designer in the same formats as you Export from Photo, they should import into InDesign the same way.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you want to keep the vector part, use PDF files.

But always keep the option "Preview export on complete", to open the PDF and check it. Some parts can be rasterised when you don't want it to be, and checking this, and other problems in Adobe reader is really important depending of what you need or want to do with the files. Especially with complexe designs.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll see what happens when I send files to be printed. In the meantime, exporting the illustrator/designer files as an SVG seems to retain the vector aspect. I drop files into InDesign, and I'm getting a clear background where everything should be clear.

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

I have just copy-pasted to InDesign.

For me (on Windows and Adobe InDesign CS6) anything other than text will be pasted as embedded graphic (EPS or PDF), and selected text (rather than text objects/frames) is pasted according to InDesign preference setting of handling text from Clipboard as plain text or formatted text. The other way around (from InDesign to Publisher) many objects (e.g. vector shapes) come as editable objects. The only way I have managed to get editable vector data from Affinity apps to InDesign is routing it via Illustrator and this needs to be done in pretty small chunks to not cause data to become embedded vectors. 

For small objects/logo with few colors, I export each color as a JPG with embedded path, import them on to of each one, convert the paths to frames and delete the image inside and assign a fill.

I only do this with small icons or simple important logo I'll need on many files/issues. For the other ones, I simply export to PDF.

I mostly work in CMYK, and not sure how embedded SVG would end up, and can't allow logo with wrong/RVB colors.