You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Do any of the 3rd party applications do a better job than Affinity Photo?

Hi,

Do they actually enhance an image better than using APhoto itself?  Like Topaz Labs products (DeNoise or SharpenAI) or ON-1's NoNoise?

My current camera does not save as a RAW file, just JPG.  I realize that ON-1s is really meant to be used on RAW files but will enhance JPGs.

Just curious.

Thanks!

Affinity Apps offer a documented subset of functionality, and lacks some special and sometimes even basic capabilities available elsewhere.

It depends on your experience, expectations and desired level of control over the creative process which app is best for you.

In general, Affinity apps give more manual control, and less automation (AI ML based tools).

Good for many, but not for all

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thank you!  I did try a trial of Sharpen AI and I didn't see much of a difference than what can be done with Affinity Photo.  But, I did not study the application or any documentation on line before using it. Dittoes with ON1 NoNoise but that it isn't really for sharpening and is mostly for RAW files only but did an okay job with a messy JPEG photo.  Actually looked like it sharpened  it a little.

Are you looking for software that leans more towards automation, or are willing to do things more manually? The latter gives you more control of how your images will look.

Affinity Photo does have a rather steep learning curve when you want to know just what it is capable of. While it does lack on a lot of things, if you're willing to invest some time, and maybe some money, it's really a powerful program.

For example, did you know that you can use channels and blur filter to denoise, ie; sharpen an image? There's a lot of video tutorials by Serif, that are sort of hidden, or hard to find now. They're considered Legacy. I don't know why they made them harder find, because I think many of those older tutorials are way better then the current ones. Here's a link to those Legacy Affinity Photo tutorials.

Example of Using Channels to Denoise:

Editing a Single Channel

Not so Legacy Tutorials, Tutorial Section of Forums.

Official Affinity Photo Desktop Tutorials

The Most Recent Affinity Photo Tutorials

Affinity Photo Desktop Tutorials

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I too like these legacy tutorials more than the current.

Unfortunately the denoise tutorial uncovers some flaws, both of Affinity Photo and the tutorial 

• i never experienced such channel specific noise on my cameras (canon 80D). Might be specific to the camera brand used by James.
  • Newer camera model use far more capable processors and ai/ml based methods to denoise, leaving less demand for post-processing (per channel)
  • The workflow explaining is 100% destructive. If painfully shows the current limitations of channels: you cant use them non-destructively. You cant limit non-destructive filter/adjustment layers to specific channels without serious extra effort probably nobody is willing to do (i tried, only to find obscure issues with filters impacting alpha channel in unpredictable buggy way, combined with older issues handling groups / nested alpha layers rendering this approach impractical)
  • I assume the destructive workflow was a major cause for removal of the tutorial, to avoid damaging the non-destructive marketing by official tutorials 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

6 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Are you looking for software that leans more towards automation, or are willing to do things more manually? The latter gives you more control of how your images will look.

Affinity Photo does have a rather steep learning curve when you want to know just what it is capable of. While it does lack on a lot of things, if you're willing to invest some time, and maybe some money, it's really a powerful program.

For example, did you know that you can use channels and blur filter to denoise, ie; sharpen an image? There's a lot of video tutorials by Serif, that are sort of hidden, or hard to find now. They're considered Legacy. I don't know why they made them harder find, because I think many of those older tutorials are way better then the current ones. Here's a link to those Legacy Affinity Photo tutorials.

Example of Using Channels to Denoise:

Editing a Single Channel

Not so Legacy Tutorials, Tutorial Section of Forums.

Official Affinity Photo Desktop Tutorials

The Most Recent Affinity Photo Tutorials

Affinity Photo Desktop Tutorials

Hi Ron!

>>Are you looking for software that leans more towards automation, or are willing to do things more manually? The latter gives you more control of how your images will look.<<

Just for something quick when I can't take the time to use Affinity Photo to do it right (and figure out how to - I do have some knowledge that I have gained from tutorials,...).  PhotoShop Elements does a pretty good job by just clicking a button.

Thank you for all that information! I am going to read all those links you included!!

I use Topaz Denoise and Sharpen AI on RAW files, particularly those with a high dynamic range. (Protecting the highlights nearly always gives a bit of noise in the shadows.)  I find them excellent. Maybe if you're very good with Affinity Photo you could get the same results but I can't, or at least I can't in the same time. Denoise is easier than bracketing. The sharpening just works well. There can be artifacts particularly with ripples/waves on water but they can be masked out. They have free trials so maybe have a go.

3 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

I use Topaz Denoise and Sharpen AI on RAW files, particularly those with a high dynamic range. (Protecting the highlights nearly always gives a bit of noise in the shadows.)  I find them excellent. Maybe if you're very good with Affinity Photo you could get the same results but I can't, or at least I can't in the same time. Easier than bracketing.

Good to know.  Thanks.  My camera doesn't save as a RAW file.  ON1 NoNoise is really for RAW images but does okay with JPGs and even sharpens a little.  I guess I will wait until another Topaz sale and get Sharpen AI eventually.

I have Topaz Sharpen AI and I think that that is meant for special cases and for premium quality work flows. Affinity can do basic sharpening just fine.

Noise removal in AP is nothing special but again, most shots do no need extreme quality noise removal. If you shoot very high ISO then Topaz, DXO or ON1 may be the way to go.