You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

setting a "save location"

From what I can gather, AP always saves to the folder the l image was opened from, but what if I want to open a dozen files from various folders, process them and then save them all as to the same new folder.

In other words, I want to set a target save folder for all of the files I have open.  I've read about batch processing but don't see how this solves my problem.

Thanks

As near as I can tell when I do a Save As... I get sent to the same New Folder I chose after the navigating to it on subsequent save as... operations for the other files I have opened regardless of where they were opened from.

This is on Mac.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

That's exactly how I think it should work but I have confirmed, yet again, that Save As always defaults to the folder where the original file exists.  I've looked for a settning but can't find an appropriate one.

Guess I should say Windows 10.

18 minutes ago, delpi767 said:

That's exactly how I think it should work but I have confirmed, yet again, that Save As always defaults to the folder where the original file exists.  I've looked for a settning but can't find an appropriate one.

Guess I should say Windows 10.

I'm seeing the same as you, I'm on Windows also

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

19 hours ago, delpi767 said:

but what if I want to open a dozen files from various folders, process them and then save them all as to the same new folder.

In my experience as soon as I do a File > Save As... on one of the dozen open files I navigate to the desired directory (New Folder Name) and then all subsequent File Save As... operations take me directly to that directory (New Folder Name).

However if I quit Affinity Photo and then start again I am back to the original setup. This sort of remembering is handled by the OS and Affinity Suite so maybe you have some setting in your OS which is doing this unexpected Save As... back to the original directory.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Well, I have no answer.  If I download something using Google and save it to a specific location, then download something else and save it, the default location is now the recently "Saved As" folder.

This indicates to me that it is not a W10 problem yet I have scoured the Affinity settings and see nothing that seems to  address this.  I'm probably missing something simple but I am stumped.

FWIW, I have the same behavior on my laptop.  Both machines on W10

-dmd-

My previous answer up above from last night wasn't quite right.  After modifying a file if I do a File Save As, you're right, I can only save the file in .afphoto format and the folder defaults to the original folder, just like you said.

However I actually never do that.  Instead I always do a File > Export and choose one of the many image formats (but .afphoto is not one of them) and the folder is always the same folder I had last exported to whether it's the original folder or a different one.  Then I'll save the original image back to its original folder.

Apologies for the misleading info last night.