You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, Just downloaded the recent assets  ie rain,snow etc.  When I try to use them they are always oversize. Im not refering to file size but the outline of the asset is bigger than my 26" screen. I know i can drag the sides and top in but this is a bit annoying as you cant do a quick look to see if it is the look i want.   Im sure theres something very simple causing this but I cant find it ?? Please help.

Hi @Baker

There is no other option than to manually adjust the width and height.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Depending on the respective assets themselves, they have different sizes (W x H in px etc.) in which they were created and added to the assets panel. If you drag an asset from the Assets Panel into a document, it does not dynamically adjust itself to the size of the document; instead, it is always inserted in its initial size. - Therefore you have to adjust the size of the respective asset to the size of the document yourself.

Another manual way instead of grabbing the handles of an dragged in asset (in order to adjust it's size), is to select it's group in the layers panel and then to change it's w x h value settings in the transformation panel.

assets_sizing_800.jpg.3b869d88ea08dfc3857fe9b089d20813.jpg

assets_sizing2.jpg.0f50786d6a2bf727fc78d4910e0bf102.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 hours ago, Hens said:

Double click the asset in the assetspanel and it will behave like "place" and you can drag to the size you want from topleft, use the ctrl key to drag from center,click to place it centered at mousepointer position at the original size

On Macs, use CMD instead of CTRL to drag from center. Holding down CTRL on Macs will show a preview of the asset as soon as you start to drag on the canvas -- I am not sure that is of much use.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 minutes ago, R C-R said:

On Macs, use CMD instead of CTRL to drag from center. Holding down CTRL on Macs will show a preview of the asset as soon as you start to drag on the canvas -- I am not sure that is of much use.

Apparently what I am doing is not according to Hoyle, because when I double click on the asset, and use CMD (or anything else) and drag from the center, the asset appears upside down.  Double clicking on the asset and placing it without CMD allows right side up placement at any size one wishes.  (I have no special shortcuts in Preferences.)

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

All of the above methods to place/add an asset still need a manual/custom size adjustments. - Though the double click placement might be the best here, in order to quickly adjust an asset to a desired size. Where the Ctrl/Cmd-Drag, which then in contrast gives a preview of an assets initial size and look here during a drag operation, can't be abandoned during that dragging state, in order to get just a preview without applying the drag.

The Assets Panel itself might be missing some sort of zoomed preview functionality here for a selected asset, in order to get a bigger quick look of an asset before dragging/placing it into the document. - Actually one always has to place/drag and remove it afterwards, if it is probably not one with the wanted look.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

12 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Apparently what I am doing is not according to Hoyle, because when I double click on the asset, and use CMD (or anything else) and drag from the center, the asset appears upside down.

For me, with or without using CMD to drag from center, if I drag rightward & downward the asset is placed right side up. If I drag upward & leftward, it is placed upside down. It works the same way for placing images.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

All of the above methods to place/add an asset still need a manual/custom size adjustments.

It isn't a single step solution but if for some reason you can't set the size you want precisely enough using the double-click method, can't you do that using the Transform Panel after adding the asset?

Another approach might be to use snapping, particularly snapping to preset guides or to a grid.

Affinity Photo 

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

For me, with or without using CMD to drag from center, if I drag rightward & downward the asset is placed right side up. If I drag upward & leftward, it is placed upside down. It works the same way for placing images.

Well I'll be darned!  Photo, Lesson One.  Good old rulers help too.   Just to be sure that the rightward and downward thing works as planned, it helps to plunk the mouse in the crosshairs! I tried @v_kyr's snowmen who look so much better right side up!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

14 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

The Assets Panel itself might be missing some sort of zoomed preview functionality here for a selected asset, in order to get a bigger quick look of an asset before dragging/placing it into the document. - Actually one always has to place/drag and remove it afterwards, if it is probably not one with the wanted look.

Not sure about Windows, but on Macs a (not very elegant) workaround for that might be using the CTRL drag to preview the asset at full size on the canvas/artboard, & if it is not the wanted one to abort placing it, for example by tapping the escape key, double-clicking on another asset, or switching to another tool.

BTW, while we are on the subject of placing assets, I think it would be useful of the placed asset always automatically used the name of the asset in the Layers panel. At least for me, that does not happen consistently but I don't know why it sometimes does & other times does not.

Affinity Photo 

26 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It isn't a single step solution but if for some reason you can't set the size you want precisely enough using the double-click method, can't you do that using the Transform Panel after adding the asset?

Look above what I've shown via screenshots and told before!

2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Look above what I've shown via screenshots and told before!

If you mean using the Transform panel then yes, you showed how to use that, but I was responding to your later comment about still needing manual/custom size adjustments. Isn't that what the Transform panel provides now?

Affinity Photo 

17 minutes ago, R C-R said:

but I was responding to your later comment about still needing manual/custom size adjustments. Isn't that what the Transform panel provides now?

Yes, either way, if a placed/dragged asset is initially to huge, or maybe the other way around not huge enough, one has to adjust it to personal size needs. Aka via afterwards dragging box handles accordingly, or via altering size values in the transform panel.