You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying table into new document messes up table formatting

Note the + sign in the Paragraph Style. It means there are overrides to the Paragraph Style Table Body 7 I am not certain if this is the cause of the problem but I would fix the style/update the style and try again.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi Chbrier,

Does this happen regardless of the file you paste into? If you make a brand new project does this still occur? If so please could you provide a copy of the original file with the table so I can look into this further with you.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

27 minutes ago, chbrier said:

I figured it out, thanks for the help, lol!

Someone else will probably have the same problem, so it would be helpful if you provided more details.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, sfriedberg said:

there are few things more frustrating

I would say that one thing which is worse is when the OP goes back and removes the text from their posts leaving us with a useless thread containing out-of-context replies.
Even if some personal/private/controversial/etc. information was originally given, that can usually be edited out in a way which at least preserves the ‘gist’ of the question.
What we have here now is essentially: “Thanks for your help, but I’m going to make sure that no-one else will be helped by it.”

• 3 months later...

So I have got the same problem. When I copy and paste a part of a table to a different page in the file it changes size of the cells. i mostly use squares, and SOMETIMES it changes to taller rectangles sometimes smaller rectangles, I never know what will happen next time and why. It is so frustrating, because everything else pastes well.

2) Other thing is that when I do the formatting of a new table and use "border" formatting, it doesnt work properly. If I want to be safe I need to remember to click which type of border first, and then the size of the line of the border. But when I sometimes do it the other way round - because I want to change the size of the line first - and then I click the type of border and then it doesnt always work. Sometimes it does so it is even more confusing. And when it doesnt work - it still shows in the formatting window the size of the line, so I think it is set correct, but then i deselect the cells and I see that nothing changed. 

3) Third frustration is formatting the same cell in two different selections. Eg. I do the formatting of the cells 1A and 1C, and if I want to include 1B too, so I select all 1a-1c range, and in the formatting window I see an incorrect type of the border (I assume that it gets it from 1B), but also the correct size of the line which is probably taken from 1A and 1C. So I seeing only one incorrect setting - I change the type of the border, and leave the correct size of the line. Then I deselect cells, and see that noting changes. I need to go back, change the type of the border again, then change size of the line to something different - and then again - to the correct size - and only then it changes the formatting of the cells.

4) Finally, the selection of the cells works extremely confusingly. In the process above in no.3 - after I change the type of the border - the selection of the cells additionally highlights the borders between the cells, so it makes me think that I changed the setting. But if I didnt change the size of the line twice, like described above, nothing happens. 

Also, the selections of the cells covers the lines so much, that when I do changes like in no.2 and 3, I cannot see than nothing changed until I deselected the cells. So I need to click back and forth between the cells and the settings because of it. 

I hope you have any advice on how to make my life easier because I need to work with those tables a lot. Maybe Im doing someting wrong.

Best