You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Grey Outlines around shapes in Designer Persona

Hey folks, I really don't know what to do, have been using the search but cant find anything solving my problem. Stroke is set to none, why is this still showing?

Grey borders around objects and picture after exporting and this time even before exporting are making the transition from adobe extra hard as I'm not used to this kind of stuff.

image.png.c1098995e2274be35f460bbc7710d296.pngimage.png.dc3e1a99070edfb2cec61d079afd741c.png

Thanks for the screenshot and the document – that makes it much easier to see what’s going on.
I would say that this is a problem with the clipping in the embedded document.
In various places, the Curves layer you are clipping the Image layer with is a tiny bit larger than it needs to be – see attached video.
Making the Curves layer slightly smaller would fix the ‘outline problem’ but you would need to check that it didn’t introduce another problem elsewhere.

Thanks a lot @GarryP, that's an awesomely easy and quick fix. Love it.

Can you help me with my second problem, too? As I have encountered the same with images too, but was only able to solve it partially. At least thus far that you don't see them in full screen mode in Adobe Acrobat Reader, but still visible in Edge. Edit: just checked, see them in exported PDF Full screen sometimes too, depending on Screen resolution or something. There are attached screenshots from Adobe Acrobat DC and Edge, also the .afpub-file (second site).

image.png

image.png

grayBordersProblem.afpub

I’m not quite sure what’s going on there but I notice some things at first glance:
1. Removing various adjustment layers doesn’t seem to make much difference that I can see – can they be removed?
2. You seem to have lots of cropping – maybe do some background removal instead?
3. The X value of your Titel.jpg layer is 298.006 pixels which won’t be helping (it should best be an integer value).
4. The cropping of your Titel.jpg layer doesn’t seem to be doing anything.
5. When the crop is removed from the Titel.jpg layer, the X/Y/H values change to non-integers.
Try removing stuff that doesn’t do anything, and make sure you are using integer pixel X/Y/W/H values for rasters, and that should help.
I don’t have much time to look at the moment but I’m sure someone else can add to this.

• Staff
2 hours ago, Pleb said:

Thanks a lot @GarryP, that's an awesomely easy and quick fix. Love it.

Can you help me with my second problem, too? As I have encountered the same with images too, but was only able to solve it partially. At least thus far that you don't see them in full screen mode in Adobe Acrobat Reader, but still visible in Edge. Edit: just checked, see them in exported PDF Full screen sometimes too, depending on Screen resolution or something. There are attached screenshots from Adobe Acrobat DC and Edge, also the .afpub-file (second site).

image.png

image.png

grayBordersProblem.afpub 6.64 MB · 2 downloads

Just disable the Selective Color Adjustment (untick its layer) in the second page and then export again. Do you still see the lines?

• Staff

Thanks for your document!

As Garry mentioned, there seems to be some superflous layers in your document, which I have removed in my copy, as well as ensuring your layers are 'pixel aligned', please find this attached.

I can confirm this has been previously raised on the forums here - 

When exporting to PDF, please disable 'JPEG Compression' - now when I open this PDF in Acrobat, the lines can still be seen:

image.png

However this is due to the way the PDF reader is displaying the file. If I navigate to Edit > Preferences and disable 'Smooth Images', the lines are no longer displayed -

image.png

This confirms the above post from Jon, where our developers confirmed this is due to the PDF reader and not the Affinity export.

I hope this clears things up :)

grayBordersProblem_F.afpub

@MEB yes i still see the lines, it actually got even worse. (1 picture) 

image.thumb.png.e55c49f2a838cfb89ab398fd176143ce.png

@Dan C unfortunately when copying the picture from your afpub (picture 1) or importing the whole slide into my file (picture2) still shows gray lines when exporting. Actually it looks worse than before. I mean, I have already been on the linked forum entry, but unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem. The PDFs are showing artifacts in Edge and Acrobat Reader DC, browser don't have any settings for PDF viewing.  Would be really a charm if one wouldn't have to spend multiple hours fiddling around with the export. So maybe it's my export settings.

My export settings are in picture 3 and 4.

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Staff
4 hours ago, Pleb said:

So maybe it's my export settings.

My export settings are in picture 3 and 4.

On 9/30/2021 at 3:07 PM, Dan C said:

When exporting to PDF, please disable 'JPEG Compression'

I can see this option is still ticked in your screenshots - have you tried exporting with this option disabled please? 

As explained in my previous post, I believe this is an issue with the PDF reader in use (as it does not show when using macOS preview, or in Acrobat with the correct settings, for example) and not a bug within the Affinity application :)

That eps is very complex but there are two masks and if you select the nodes on the side of a mask which shows the line and move them one pixel to the left or right the line will be gone.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Dan C tried this too. Lines are still there.

@PixelPest  thanks for the tip, actually sounded promising. 

I managed to make the lines disappear but no clue how. Took me 10 attempts at exporting. In one last desperate attempt before surrendering I copied and pasted the elements which coincidence weren't showing any lines together into a new document, and it worked. Yay, ok, threat can be closed. A big thank you to everyone involved, taking their time to help. I hope no more gray lines for me during my affinity career.  It was a nightmare.