You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Line numbering for educational ebook. Affinity Publisher.

How do I add line numbers to frame text for an educational ebook, please?

I've watched the frame text tutorials and the numbering only seems to relate to paragraphs.  I want to be able to line number across a document which contains a short story so that I can direct stdents to a particular word or phrase within a line.

I'm a total amateur so if you have some advice please use baby steps - I'd be so grateful. 

Thank you.

There is no built-in line-numbering feature in Publisher, though it can probably be done by someone knowledgeable enough about Publisher, and using some tricks to generate a list of numbers and add them into the document.

Are the numbers continuous across the entire document? Roughly how many pages and lines are you planning.

Frankly, I would probably do it in LibreOffice, which has the function as a standard part of the product, rather than in Publisher.

Also, other than PDF format, Publisher doesn't create ebooks.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Unless using 2 columns and a Paragraph style with numbered list... I don't thing it's easy.

There's just some trick to apply the list: selecting the lines, applying the style. If needed, "applying" "no style" AND applying the List style. If the list need to restart (on each page or on another part), manually modifying the option "restart manually" in the Paragraph panel.

2021-08-23_232851.png.b531ede76b5881e52ae084f835515e46.png

2021-08-23_232858.png.69e124f25f83242212e514a71ea0bb69.png

lines_numbers.afpub

17 hours ago, KellyD said:

I want to be able to line number across a document which contains a short story so that I can direct stdents to a particular word or phrase within a line.

The only way to do this 'properly' is to use separate paragraph returns at the end of each line in the story, then use some sort of insert line numbers macro in your word processor. This is best done in a text file which you can then place into the Publisher document. It is a lot of work but then you have your line numbers fixed in place, carved in stone.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Use a word processor which allows line numbering like Word or Libre Office as mentioned above. Note that this is a feature of the display and isn't included in the standard file as such so you can't import that into Publisher. However, if you save as a pdf then the numbers will show up like in the attached example. Proper ebook formats allow text reflowing depending on the screen width and magnification however this is the last thing you need and pdf format with its fixed width saves the day.

LoremIpsum.pdf

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

On 8/23/2021 at 9:21 PM, walt.farrell said:

Frankly, I would probably do it in LibreOffice, which has the function as a standard part of the product, rather than in Publisher.

Thank you for your reply. I use mac - and you're right, Pages/Word seems easier to use in this respect.

On 8/23/2021 at 10:34 PM, Wosven said:

Unless using 2 columns and a Paragraph style with numbered list... I don't thing it's easy.

Thank you so much for your reply and your detailed example.  It's definitely given me a sound option.

I'm very grateful for your time and effort.

20 hours ago, Lagarto said:

If the job has not been finished yet,

I'm afraid I have finished it. However, I am very grateful for the time you have put in to replying and the examples. Yes, it does seem such an effor.  It may be easier to fall back on Pages and PDFs for the next project until this is made easier. I don't seem to be able to add footnotes easily either which, for education, is essential.

Thanks for helping!

18 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

The only way to do this 'properly' is to use separate paragraph returns at the end of each line in the story, then use some sort of insert line numbers macro in your word processor.

Actually, this seems for me (a bit of a Luddite) the easiest and most practical option. 

This is definitely worth a try before attempting the more complicated options suggested.

Thanks so much!

14 hours ago, David in Яuislip said:

Use a word processor which allows line numbering like Word or Libre Office as mentioned above. Note that this is a feature of the display and isn't included in the standard file as such so you can't import that into Publisher. However, if you save as a pdf then the numbers will show up like in the attached example.

Sheesh! It seems so long winded for a programme which is supposed to offer 'publishing' support. I suppose it's primarily designed for magazines etc. Oh well...

Thank you very much for your example (I can see you're word and I'm Pages but I assume similar would apply).  Am I missing something when I ask: why I would use a word processer then transfer it to Publisher (it seems that would doing the job twice)?

32 minutes ago, KellyD said:

I can see you're word and I'm Pages but I assume similar would apply

I wouldn't assume that, I'd test Pages to see if it does then use a program that does if it doesn't

33 minutes ago, KellyD said:

Am I missing something when I ask: why I would use a word processer then transfer it to Publisher (it seems that would doing the job twice)?

Only this time because your use of Publisher doesn't achieve what you need, in future you could just use the word processor and import the pdf into Publisher

Or try the other techniques suggested above. Speaking as a true Luddite I prefer the line of least resistance. Good luck and maybe make a feature request for line numbering support in Publisher

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10