You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo cropping problem. How to make a real crop? AF remember the original canvas!!! How can this be turned off?

Please give me a hint.

How to make a REAL crop in Affinity Photo? AP remembers all of the original canvas, which is super annoying 😡. Many effects (maybe even all of them) are rendered from the original entire canvas, not the crop area. For examplethis is the case with the mirror effect. It is centred but relative to the centre before the crop (of course we can move the kaleidoscope point). To render the reflection, graphic areas are used that are no longer present on the canvas 🤬🤬🤬🤬!!! PhotoPlus started with the idea of remembering the original canvas, there was an option to uncheck it. It should be similar in AP, I have no idea where?

Edited by Sebastian Michael
typing errors

1 hour ago, Sebastian Michael said:

Nevertheless, I hope we can enable it permanently. That switch should be somewhere in the options.

If you want to request a change to the program, you need to use the Feature Requests forum (after reading the instructions at the top):

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/52-feature-requests-suggestions/

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

If you want to request a change to the program, you need to use the Feature Requests forum (after reading the instructions at the top):

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/52-feature-requests-suggestions/

Serif has transferred a huge amount of solutions from previous Plus programs to Affinity. There is a switch in PhotoPlus that I am talking about. I hope it's transferred. Then, maybe someone knows where it can be found in the AP options (or knows 100% that it is not there). When I am sure that I am looking for non-existent functions, I will definitely propose changes with an appropriate application.

There is no existing option for what you want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There is no existing option for what you want.

I dug through the entire WorkBook, checked help and didn't find it. However, English is not my first language. There is always the option that I don't understand or miss something. I admit that you may be right.

At the beginning of next week, I will submit proposals for changes.
I will leave the post open. Maybe someone will tell me how to apply Rasterize & Trim .. with one click to all layers.

7 minutes ago, Sebastian Michael said:

Maybe someone will tell me how to apply Rasterize & Trim .. with one click to all layers.

You can't, it has been requested already so we just have to wait and see if they implement it sometime

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, Sebastian Michael said:

Serif has transferred a huge amount of solutions from previous Plus programs to Affinity.

Actually, the Affinity apps were developed entirely from scratch using completely new from-the-ground-up core code. This was necessary because unlike the Windows-only Plus apps the Affinity ones were designed to run on Mac, iPadOS, & Windows systems (& possibly others in the future), & to be able to take advantage of certain computing technologies that the Plus line could not use unless they were completely rewritten.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

22 hours ago, Sebastian Michael said:

I dug through the entire WorkBook

I think it’s worth mentioning that the Work Book probably isn’t meant to be a user guide – or manual – for the whole application and, as such, will not document all of the functionalities of that application.
If you want help with a function, the best place to start is in the in-built Help via menu “Help → Affinity <application> Help”.

On 6/3/2021 at 7:19 PM, R C-R said:

Actually, the Affinity apps were developed entirely from scratch using completely new from-the-ground-up core code. This was necessary because unlike the Windows-only Plus apps the Affinity ones were designed to run on Mac, iPadOS, & Windows systems (& possibly others in the future), & to be able to take advantage of certain computing technologies that the Plus line could not use unless they were completely rewritten.

I'm talking about solutions with which the end user interacts, about the implemented functions. The programming language is irrelevant to the end user, the program is supposed to work and be functional. I have known Serif for many years, I am their faithful fan and I know the history of the Affinity brand development. However, it is difficult not to notice the common elements between the Plus and Affinity series 😉.

On 6/4/2021 at 1:02 PM, GarryP said:

I think it’s worth mentioning that the Work Book probably isn’t meant to be a user guide – or manual – for the whole application and, as such, will not document all of the functionalities of that application.
If you want help with a function, the best place to start is in the in-built Help via menu “Help → Affinity <application> Help”.

Did you find in Help what I'm asking? I haven't found it. As you have probably noticed above, we already know that this functionality is not present in AP. The topic is exhausted unless you have a way to override this feature. Maybe a macro?

1 hour ago, Sebastian Michael said:

However, it is difficult not to notice the common elements between the Plus and Affinity series 😉.

Nevertheless, there are many significant differences, not just in the code but also in the feature set & UI. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7