You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import Clip Art from older Serif poducts

I just bought Affinity Publisher just now found out it seems there is no clip art of any kind. I have Serif DrawPlus x5 and Serif Page Plus x7

and both those came with tons of clip art. Sense I paid for these programs and own them it sure would be nice if Publisher would see the files so I

could copy the whole folder and use what I paid for with the older Serif. Especially it seams Affinity and Serif are kinda the same company now.

Yes I know I can copy and paste and import but it would be so easy if Publisher recognize the older Serif files.

10 hours ago, David Katlarz said:

Especially it seams Affinity and Serif are kinda the same company now.

There has only ever been one company: Serif.

It produced an older line of products (such as DraPlus and PagePlus), and now it produces a new line of products (Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, David Katlarz said:

Yes I know I can copy and paste and import but it would be so easy if Publisher recognize the older Serif files.

Both DrawPlus and PagePlus can export to (or ‘Publish As’) PDF, and the Affinity apps can open PDF files, so that’s probably the simplest route for transferring any clip art that you can’t open directly in APub.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

There the same company then there is no good reason there new software should not recognize there own files.

This would have been a huge win win for everyone I cant imagine them brainstorming ideas for new software and this

was never talked about.

A youtuber suggested I could batch rename them but not sure that will work I used to do this and it was always iffy at best.

Its so much easier to have 100's of clipart just right in the program at your ready.

There’s a very good reason why Serif’s new software doesn’t recognize files saved in the native file formats of their old software. There are multiple formats with very little interchangeability apart from SPP (Serif PhotoPlus) and SMF (Serif Metafile Format) and the Affinity apps are built from an entirely new codebase. There are so many differences in the feature sets that a range of purpose-built converters wouldn’t necessarily give you better results than the more generally useful PDF import feature.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

OK I do realize its an entirely new code base but they know the program they know the code im sure is a way to make an import files or clip art

to there new program...Other programs import from there older files. Cant be that hard its 2021. I can open and copy and paste these same

clip art but that would take who knows how long.

Thanks for your help though...

As a Mac user, I've never had the option of seeing the older Plus range of apps and might be wide of the mark here but, for all we know, the clip art from the previous apps might have been licensed from a third party for inclusion in those specific apps - and that license, for various reasons, might not be able to be extended to the new Affinity range.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

2 hours ago, David Katlarz said:

Other programs import from there older files.

Affinity applications import from older Affinity releases, too. But the legacy apps are not just older; they're totally unrelated.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 years later...
On 5/28/2021 at 5:54 PM, walt.farrell said:

Affinity applications import from older Affinity releases, too. But the legacy apps are not just older; they're totally unrelated.

They are totally unrelated, except that they originate from the same company, which is obviously a relationship.

I would have thought that the SMF format could have been brought forward into the Affinity suite, as it obviously was created to provide high-quality transfer of images between applications. Unless that is, they have developed something better, in which case importing their own proprietary legacy format would have been a useful addition

Mind you with the Mac being the primary platform for Affinity that may not have been on their minds.