You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why I can paint on locked layer.

Why?

Because that is how locking a layer works in the Affinity applications.

From the Help:

Locking is useful when you need to prevent a layer from being moved or transformed unintentionally.

In Affinity, locking does not prevent you from doing things like painting on a layer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 minutes ago, pangloy said:

If I want to lock for paint, How can I do?

You can't.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You can't.

You can, but you won't like it.

a) Group the layer you want to protect.

b) Menu Layer >> New Group

c) Drag the image group into the empty group and collapse this group.

Pure nonsense, but at least you won't destroy the layer you want to protect. I do hope, that one day / version a lock means protection against everything.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

I do hope, that one day / version a lock means protection against everything.

That is kind of funny, I just assumed that locking a layer did just that, "Locked all edits". So, "Locking" a layer is a bit of misnomer. I agree with Joachim with the notion of locking being pure nonsense. I should not be able to move, draw, erase, add an effect or pixel filter to a locked layer. This does indeed need to be updated to reflect what the name implies. In our team environment, I shiver to think that one of our graphic artist could edit a locked layer that I've spent hours working on.🤯 What's the point of locking it anyway. Resizing or moving it are the least of my worries.😏

18 minutes ago, jbartley said:

In our team environment, I shiver to think that one of our graphic artist could edit a locked layer that I've spent hours working on.🤯 

Whatever "locked" means, someone else in your team can always mess up your work. You can't prevent that, as all they have to do is unlock the layer. The lock is maybe a hint that they shouldn't do that, and it would make it harder to happen accidentally. But they can edit it.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 year later...
On 5/26/2021 at 11:08 AM, walt.farrell said:

Whatever "locked" means, someone else in your team can always mess up your work. You can't prevent that, as all they have to do is unlock the layer. The lock is maybe a hint that they shouldn't do that, and it would make it harder to happen accidentally. But they can edit it.

The purpose of locking is to protect yourself from yourself. In almost all graphic applications I have used, locking prevents anything from happening on that layer, especially painting on it. It is a safety feature to prevent accidentally messing up something you don't want to change (usually your source photo). It would be nice if Affinity Photo conformed to the industry standard expectations for locking.  

16 minutes ago, TrentL said:

The purpose of locking is to protect yourself from yourself.

The comment I replied to was from someone who wanted to prevent others from modifying their work. Locking can't do that.

-- Walt
PC: