You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: -> TEXT FRAME -> FRAME FILL -> checking an justifying OPACITY

Hello Affinity Team,

I would like to color the "Frame Fill" in a "Text Frame" and set it for expample to 70% opacity. The text itself should not become transparent!

The problem:

In the input area for "Frame Fill" I can apparently only make the color transparent via a slider. But this slider does not show how much opacity is set. This makes it almost impossible to set the same transparent background for several identical text frames. Or is there somewhere a possibility to adjust the opacity value numerically for "Frame Fill"?

Thanks for the help; kind regarss,

Rüdiger von Schönfels

This is an example of a "Text Frame" on a picture. The background-color of the "Text Frame" should be transparent. The Font Color should not be transparent:

809355470_screenshotaffinitypublisherframe-text-opacity_example.jpeg.dd738e98d21116d13ed183ee316720ba.jpeg

Here I am setting the Color for Frame Fill and the opacitiy with the slider which does not show any number to check or justify the opacity

1913870117_screenshotaffinitypublisherframefillopacity.jpg.f77ecd8b50b83c0bc338384d6e9607bd.jpg

• Staff

Hi @RvS,
I will pass your feedback to the dev team to include an input/info field there. One way to work around it is to set the color you wish for the Fill as you usually do then select the Transparency Tool or the Fill Tool (linear gradient) and apply the same opacity value for both nodes. You can then Copy > Paste Style to other text frames (assuming the font size/text remains the same between them).

• 1 year later...
50 minutes ago, RyS said:

Looking at the text frame settings in Publisher 2 it appears that the opacity of the fill still only has a slider and no imput field.

Yes, that's still true.

50 minutes ago, RyS said:

Also, corner options for text frames, as with images, would be nice.

As a workaround, you can of course create any shape you want, perhaps a rectangle with the corners adjusted for example, and turn it into a Text Frame via Layer > Convert to Text Frame.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 11 months later...