You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity stole my money

I was very excited to buy the three programs (and thank goodness I only bought one at a time) because when I tried to buy the first one (affinity publisher) the page gave an error in half the payment, they took the money from my bank, but not They gave me the program, the purchase does not even appear in the history, I feel robbed, and very angry

@Themurddock

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

First, it is extremely unlikely that Affinity stole your money! Your bank account may appear to have been debited for your purchase, but the fact you haven’t received any confirmation email from Serif almost certainly means that the 2 stage authentication process, which is a legal requirement in the UK for all such purchases has failed, perhaps because your bank is not set up to meet such requirements. In such circumstances the money will eventually be credited back to your bank account.

In order to resolve this and to enable you to purchase any or all of the Affinity apps I think you need to email affinity@serif.com and explain the problem.  

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

@Themurddock

It sounds like your payment is being declined. When this happens you may see a pending transaction on your account for a few days. This should drop back into your account once your bank realises we cannot collect the payment. 

This is most likely due to an error in the way your browser is handling the 3d secure check that is now mandatory for all EU online orders. Before trying again you may wish to check your browser is up to date 

If you want us to confirm this is the case please email affinity@serif.com.. We have limited staff working at the weekend, but you should hear back from someone tomorrow morning at the latest.

3 hours ago, SFurniss said:

Before trying again you may wish to check your browser is up to date 

It may also be worth checking that there are no browser extensions active that would block popups, or that would disable Javascript. (Another user reported that after disabling the NoScript extension the purchase worked OK for him.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

(Another user reported that after disabling the NoScript extension the purchase worked OK for him.)

The order page really ought to include a ‘<noscript>’ tag element to inform the user about the need to use a JavaScript-enabled browser.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

The order page really ought to include a ‘<noscript>’ tag element to inform the user about the need to use a JavaScript-enabled browser.

I haven't checked, but it might well have one and still there could be issues.

With the NoScript extension, for example, you can temporarily authorize everything that's on the page at that exact moment. But then when you click on something (say, a Purchase button), something will load from some other site, and NoScript might still block that item. You would have to disable its protections globally (temporarily) in order to allow unknown things from other sites to show up. And many users of the tool may not have discovered that.

But that's just for NoScript; there are other Javascript blockers out there.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

it might well have one and still there could be issues

Agreed. What I was really trying to say is that if JS is essential there should be checks at every stage so that the user is informed about the existence of the problem and how to fix it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Agreed. What I was really trying to say is that if JS is essential there should be checks at every stage so that the user is informed about the existence of the problem and how to fix it.

Yes, but any checks might fail as the user might already have "trusted" the Affinity Store website, and if the Store checks for "is JS allowed" the answer would be "yes". But it might still fail when the bank tries to invoke the security check.

-- Walt
PC:

Hi, thanks to every one for the answers, there is no email response yet... (second day, I hope it's because it's the weekend )

For me this is a bit stupid, if there is a second phase verificatión, ¿whay debt the money from the bank befor that?, don't lose the sense of the second step ?

I use Edge and its update (a warning about the browser would have been great ), and I use Adblock (the original) this browser comes from chromium. 

Edited by Themurddock