You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Updating linked resources not previewing correctly, rasterizing on export

I've been troubleshooting to the best of my ability for the past 3 days, but can't really nail down a single issue to screenshot or video.

The generic workflow…
- DesignDoc contains several pages with several Master Pages applied to each. There are linked graphics (PDFs, PNGs) on both Master and "child" pages.
- LayoutDoc contains instances/pages of the DesignDoc placed and oriented for final production output.

Problems that occur…
- updates to linked PDFs graphic show as updated on DesignDoc Master Pages but not child pages ( and weirdly sometimes correctly in LayoutDoc)
- updates to DesignDoc sometimes don't show in LayoutDoc
- linked PDFs graphics are rasterized on export of LayoutDoc: sometimes from Master and not child, sometimes from both, sometimes from neither (particularly odd, a graphic on Master is rasterized with same graphic on child not rasterized)

Again, I can't quite nail down the issue to get a replicable error to capture via video. I'll keep plugging away, but maybe someone else has experienced a similar issue and has a tip?

And here's the rasterization issue.

In DesignDoc, when the same PDF is placed on both the Master Page and the "child" page, everything gets exported correctly as vectors. However, when DesignDoc is placed in LayoutDoc, the PDF on the Master Page gets incorrectly rasterized while the same PDF on the "child" page does not.

• 4 weeks later...

Can you please upload your sample documents?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Thanks for responding. Trashed the originals, but here's a recreation which demonstrates the issue.

Includes:

• DesignerVector.afdesign - simple vector with text
  • DesignerVector.pdf - PDF of vector file
  • PubDesignDoc.afpub - 2 instances of vector file, one placed on Master Page, one placed directly on page
  • PubLayoutDoc.afpub - PubDesignDoc placed as linked file
  • PubLaoutDoc.pdf - PDF showing vector file placed on Master Page of PubDesignDoc being rasterized.

Affinity Trouble.zip

• Staff

Hi @prophet

I can reproduce the issue with updated resources not being correctly reflected, and have logged this, as well as another preflight issue I noticed when looking into this.

I'm struggling to reproduce the export issue you are experiencing, do you mind re-recording the issue with the supplied files, so I can just check if I missed a step? I assume you left the export settings at default (press ready)?

Apologies for the delay in our reply and thanks for the example files

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 5:28 PM, prophet said:

linked PDFs graphics are rasterized on export

Here is a somewhat related issue with the current betas:

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 months later...

I had high hopes for 1.10, but we seem to have a regression. In 1.9, the linked PDF graphic placed directly on the page retained it's "vectorness" when exported out to PDF while the same file placed on the Master was rasterized. Now, in 1.10, they both get rasterized.

RasterVector.png