You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just now, AnnM said:

Hi all

I would like to make a scissor cut book. I need to add a dotted line as a contour to the different objects. I have no idea how to do it. I have three of your apps - which should I use and how.

Here is the example I want to "reach" https://www.creativefabrica.com/product/dragon-scissor-skills-pages/

Thank You in advance!

Ann

This manual does not work for me. I have no "Outline" from menu....

Creating outline selections

The Outline feature allows you to create a new selection based on the outer edges of a previously created selection.

Selection outline example

Before and after outline selection created.

Settings

The following settings can be adjusted from the relevant dialogs:

• Radius—controls the width of the selection.
  • Circular—when selected, the selection edges become increasingly rounded with increasing Radius values.
  • Alignment—determines to origin for the expansion. Select from the pop-up menu.
To create an outline selection:
  1. With a selection in place, from the Select menu, select Outline.
  2. Adjust the settings in the dialog.
  3. Click Apply.

SEE ALSO:

34 minutes ago, AnnM said:

outline selection:

"Selection" is used to select/mark pixels on which an operation will be performed.

You obviously need to draw a dotted/dashed line.

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/CurvesShapes/draw_linesAndShapes.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

11 hours ago, Pšenda said:

"Selection" is used to select/mark pixels on which an operation will be performed.

You obviously need to draw a dotted/dashed line.

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/CurvesShapes/draw_linesAndShapes.html

Thank You for answering. In other apps there is a possibility to do it with "one click". Only need to click "outline the object". Does the Affinity have such possibility?

Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what you want to do, but in Affinity it's not a problem to just change the line to a dotted line (see my previous link).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 2 weeks later...

OHH yes - it is what I want to obtain! Can You explain me the process more accurately? Thank You for answering.

I have the question to Administators - How can I see/know that someone replied to my quote?

Here is the result I want to obtain:

If you don't have the Toolbar showing you can access it from the Layers > Geometry > several choices fly-out, and watch what happens when you hold down the Option Key in Mac.

3 minutes ago, AnnM said:

Where is "ADD"? Is it Photo or Designer (here I can see contour tool)... I am stupid and sad I can't do simply thing...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Is that file you place a Designer file? I cannot tell.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

4 minutes ago, G13RL said:

Ann, you start with an image file (png), the method I proposed only works on a vector drawing.
You would have to redraw this sketch with a pen or a pencil and then apply a dotted outline.

I chose other file instead :). THX

2 minutes ago, AnnM said:

yes...

All the 'lines' and 'shapes' are going to be in that file. Open it and save it as Trying Things Out.afdesign. Working on this Trying things.... file you should get farther along.

If you want to you could have it Embedded in your new document. Then by double clicking on the placed file, it will open in a new tab and you should be able to work on that.

18 minutes ago, G13RL said:

Ann, you start with an image file (png), the method I proposed only works on a vector drawing.
You would have to redraw this sketch with a pen or a pencil and then apply a dotted outline.

Ok now I did this haha

What I should do next to have dotted lines? Sorry for spoiling your day, Guys :(

10 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

All the 'lines' and 'shapes' are going to be in that file. Open it and save it as Trying Things Out.afdesign. Working on this Trying things.... file you should get farther along.

If you want to you could have it Embedded in your new document. Then by double clicking on the placed file, it will open in a new tab and you should be able to work on that.

Could you show me how to do it? Where is "Trying Things Out.afdesign"? Sorry for such questions....

Open this file:

645652141_ScreenShot2021-04-16at10_47_18AM.png.af5476abf110e170d72bc017473583f3.png   (From a screen shot of your movie.)

Now go to File > Save As... With the name Trying Things Out. This is so you don't destroy the original, do the work on this copy. 

All that remains is to apply the dotted lines to the outline: on the "Stroke" tab of the studio, click on "Dash Line Style", adjust the thickness of the line, then the size and spacing of the dotted lines by entering the values in the "Dash" windows.

Dotted line.gif

13 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Open this file:

645652141_ScreenShot2021-04-16at10_47_18AM.png.af5476abf110e170d72bc017473583f3.png   (From a screen shot of your movie.)

Now go to File > Save As... With the name Trying Things Out. This is so you don't destroy the original, do the work on this copy. 

It is still png...

12 minutes ago, G13RL said:

All that remains is to apply the dotted lines to the outline: on the "Stroke" tab of the studio, click on "Dash Line Style", adjust the thickness of the line, then the size and spacing of the dotted lines by entering the values in the "Dash" windows.

Dotted line.gif

Ok I am going to check it :) Thx!

11 minutes ago, AnnM said:

It is still png...

Ann, I think that Old Bruce means that you can use this drawing as a reference to redraw it with Pen Tool, placing it under or over your strokes as you wish. Having duplicated and renamed the file, you don't risk damaging the original.

29 minutes ago, G13RL said:

Ann, I think that Old Bruce means that you can use this drawing as a reference to redraw it with Pen Tool, placing it under or over your strokes as you wish. Having duplicated and renamed the file, you don't risk damaging the original.

Ok I will check; now I am fighting with your idea - and nothing works :( at all - I need to find out what I am doing wrong....

38 minutes ago, G13RL said:

1 hour ago, G13RL said:

Dotted line.gif

Ok; I have got this. But cannot manipulate the outer dots (width) as You do......

new try 2.pdf